Thursday, November 20, 2008

Week of 11/16/2008 - 11/22/2008 (Not Good Week #3)

So on Sunday...

They canceled the first ever Pasadena Marathon due to forest fires... which was an extreme bummer to the many who had trained, traveled and congregated for this event. But for me, it brought some neat silver linings.

One, is that I got to spend some extra time with Kamalah, who was in town for this event. She is one cool chica. Second, I felt less guilty about not going on a run on this day.

While walking to Trader Joe's to get our consolation exercise... I realized that I should probably stop pretending that the persistent pain in my L ankle was 1) going to go away on its own and 2) not affecting my stride. Hell, it was painful to keep a normal walking gait.

I can't help but feel like my running career is circling the drain at this point and desperately needs a Do Not Resuscitate order...


Sunday 11/16 - Thursday 11/20: Nothing. Waiting for my ankle to feel less horrible. Turns out its taking a really long time. On thursday I decided I had already hit the diminishing returns principle on further days off... but I couldn't motivate myself to get out of bed and go run. Bleh.

Friday 11/21: 46:14, Monterrey Recovery Loop to test the ankle. Didn't feel fantastic, but it pretty much held up. I think I expended more effort than I could have to produce a decent time for this course, but in general I felt good. I think it felt good just to have gotten up, biked to the Arroyo and run... instead of lolling around in bed trying to sleep and ignore the feeling my body and soul being crushed into an ever smaller cube.

Saturday 11/22: 1:28:54, Brown Mountain to the Saddle and back via El Prieto with KB. This was a fantastic run. I was really really nervous and concerned about my ankle and my fitness and wondered if I'd need to be airlifted off of the mountain... but I was glad that I went anyways. Despite the many days off, felt not terrible going up, in the beginning it felt pretty horrible but it got better and I was feeling pretty chipper by the time we got to the saddle. Maybe there's hope yet. Was really great to run with KB. Breakfast with the gang at Corner Bakery afterwards. Saw Susan there too.

Training this week: 2:15:08, this week was kind of a wash anyways... but the goal was just to run again. Hopefully things will stabilize next week.

No comments: