Friday, November 7, 2008

Week of 10/26/2008 - 11/01/2008 (EPIC FAIL)

So, as such things turn out... trying to recover by simply cutting out workout days wasn't really an effective form of re-initialization. In fact, by the end of last week, the system was even more full of fatal errors.

I finally got the blue screen of death on Sunday, wherein I ran for about 15 minutes before I turned around and came back because I was feeling so deathly horrible. 10 pounds of shit, 5 pound bag.

Demoralized by both sleep deprivation and the inexplicable decline over the past week or two... I decided that I really had to turn the system off for a little bit. After all, how else can you fix a mystery problem where you're not really sure what's wrong, and a doctor would probably tell you you're stark raving crazy if the only symptom was decline in running performance....?

Anyways, I took Monday - Friday off completely, and expected to feel better on Saturday, and boy was I disappointed.

I ran 2 laps (5.2 miles) of Washington Park near Peter's house.... maybe it wasn't a good idea to have the first run back be at altitude, but, that's what was available, and I was determined. I started out sore (strange since I hadn't moved in 5 days), and remained sore all throughout. In addition, I felt extremely tired very early on, and also a little bit barfy and actually... extremely oxygen deprived. Ran a positive split on the two laps (21:30, 22:15), and staggered home where I immediately proceeded to hug the toilet, waiting to barf or pass out, whichever came first. It felt like the type of nausea associated with extreme oxygen deprivation... brain damage anyone?

At any rate, it was terrible. I felt so depressed afterwards... if this is what it feels like after a lot of rest, there's got to be something REALLY wrong with me. Also, I somehow managed to give myself a charley horse somewhere deep in my R calf immediately prior to this run...

No comments: