Saturday, February 20, 2010

Worst. Mile. Ever.

01/31/2010 - 02/06/2010

There's a certain level of fitness that you take for granted... or that you used to take for granted, and know that you shouldn't anymore, but its oh so hard to accept how far from that you really are. A few years ago, I ran a mile at the track after having completed a very tough and long workout. It was not pretty (6:10) and I was not pleased at the time, but I figured, well this is as bad as it gets.

As it turns out... that is not true... (see Saturday's entry).


Sunday 01/31
: 7.1 miles, 58:21 (8:13 min/mile) Monterrey to Rose Bowl
Feeling good today, wanted to pick it up a little bit after yesterday. Amazing how far a little rest will go. I want to say this indicates an improved level of fitness, but I'm pretty sure my legs are just really well rested after some very low mileage weeks. A nice run either way.

Monday 02/01: Off, gah... motivational problems continue. This is a bad move too, because CMS Alumni meet is on Saturday and I will be expected to make an appearance.

Tuesday 02/02: 5.3 miles, 43:27 (8:12 min/mile) Monterrey to Third Bridge
Woke up feeling hungry and frustrated with myself. Took it out a by going out a little fast on this run, but dialed it back and felt alright. I'm just sick of being slow, but my schedule and my motivation are so erratic these days, it just hasn't come together to form very much improvement.

Wednesday 02/03: 7.1 miles, 59:44 (8:25 min/mile) Monterrey to Rose Bowl
Ran nice and easy on the way out and then picked it up on the way home (31:59/27:45). Feeling pretty good. Just need to get the mileage back up, now that it looks like my foot is going to be alright.

Thursday 02/04: 5.3 miles, 42:28 (8:01 min/mile) Monterrey to Third Bridge
Moderate effort, felt okay, glad that my Arroyo pace (which seems consistently 20-30 sec/mile slower than my pavement paces) is coming down. Just need to keep the sprained ankles under control. Maybe I'm a little spacey in the morning, but there are plenty of errant rocks these days after the rains.

Friday 02/05: Off, shots. I'm going every two weeks now, but for some reason this has the effect of making them more unpleasant. I feel tired and congested afterwards.

Saturday 02/06: 8.4 miles, 1:08:56 (8:12 min/mile) Patrician from the apartment (short)
I had this awesome plan to wake up early, run Patrician, hang out, recover, have a nice lunch and then head out to Claremont and run the Alumni Mile...

...and it didn't work out that way at all. I woke up early and it was raining and I had a headache, so I slept in until 11:30 am. Then I woke up in a panic and headed out to run Patrician, but about half a mile in I was already feeling crappy. I managed to get through the hills okay, but was completely dead heading back into Old Town, so I cut back early on Orange Grove and went straight back to the apartment instead of running through Caltech which is the customary route.

After I showered and stretched, I realized that I was not going to have time to get anything to eat, so I shoveled down one package of shot bloks and drove straight to Claremont. On my way I'm pretty sure I'm barely going to make the 2:25 start time for the mile, but I luck out with an opportune parking spot right next to the track! I sprint from the car to the starting line and had barely caught my breath before we were off.

The mile was pretty miserable, despite the fact that my competitors were also fat, out of shape alumni. My splits went something like this... 83, 106, 105, 105 = 6:39 for last place in pouring rain, though to my credit, there was someone like 5 meters up, so it wasn't quite as horrible.... and Brandi ran the last 3 laps with me, which was nice. Then we did some ridiculous alumni relays which resulted in me running some 400's and 200's with crappy handoffs, but it was all in good fun. Nice to see some folks from a few years back :)

Week Total: ~35 miles including the stuff from the meet. Oooof, I've got some work to do to be presentable for Hood to Coast.

1 comment:

Markkimarkkonnen said...

it's okay. that mile is basically the same as your 400m race pace.