Sunday, August 2, 2009

Week 0: Vacation (07/26/2009 - 08/01/2009)

I think I'm still pretty much in vacation mode. I was supposed to start doing some easy riding mid-week, but... that didn't happen. Ooops.

Vacation is pretty awesome though. My mom was here until Tuesday, and we crammed in a lot of things in the 5 days she was here, including a day for "mom stuff" like buying a fridge full of asian food products, making me lunches for the coming week and repotting all of my plants. I love my mom. I wanted her to see everything, we even had fruit from the fruit guy on the street near work... but even so we didn't manage to get to everything. I guess that's what next time is for.

I realized when I headed back to work on Wednesday, that I really did not get very much sleep, we had stuff to do from dawn till dusk, and lot of it involved walking. Nonetheless, I felt refreshed, calm and happy. Maybe... too calm and happy. I just didn't feel motivated to get up for my morning rides. I guess that's okay. Well, even if it's not, its too late. Next week will be back to normal, new boss, new disgruntlements... and a New Plan to offset the consternation. Perhaps it will be the Everest Challenge... only time will tell!


Sunday 07/26: Off, shopping and mom stuff. Today was supposed to be a hike, but we got back so late from San Diego yesterday, that we didn't wake up in time to get an early start. It was already getting really really hot by mid morning, so we had to roll out Plan B. I even took her to some bike stores, but Steve's was closed by 5... so she didn't get to see the weirdness.

Monday 07/27: Death Hike 2009. JPL to Clear Creek, then back via Brown Mountain, I think the total was about 25 miles, and it took 11 hours, counting lunch and breaks. I thought the Brown Mountain route would be a short cut, but it turns out it added an extra 2 miles and 2000 ft of elevation. Ooops. We also ran out of water 3-4 hours before the end of the hike, I only brought some pastries and rice balls for the entire day, and my backpack experienced a catastrophic malfunction about halfway through. My mom is a one tough little lady. She was even up and about and much more spry the next day. Me? I was sore and slow moving for pretty much the rest of the week.

In case you are wondering, Death Hike 2008 was with Peter to Mt. Bierstadt... my first time at 14,000 ft. I felt delirious, my foot hurt, and I broke out in hives when I got back to LA the next day.

Tuesday 07/28: Off, donut crawl and office tour with mom before I dropped her off at LAX. I was supposed to do an easy ride this evening, but instead, me and Dennis ate all of the donuts that my mom bought for Kangway and Dennis.

Wednesday 07/29: [Running] 28:05, 10 laps around the North Field in the pm. Felt guilty about sleeping through my morning ride, so decided to do a quick run after work. Saw Garrett and Sedona. Ran out of daylight. I still felt sore from the hike and the run was pretty hard. I was actually only intending to do 8 laps, but I spaced out and did an extra, and since I don't like odd numbers of laps, I had to do 10. I don't know how I used to do this... running so hard.

Thursday 07/30: Off, motivational issues continue. Slept through another ride... nuts.

Friday 07/31: [Running] 22:27, 8 laps around the North Field in the pm. Couldn't go riding in the morning bc of shots, but did manage to squeeze in a short run. I was doing really well until I fell over on lap 5, which kind of killed the momentum. After that I got a side stitch and had to start jogging, so I decided to cut it short at 8 laps. Arghhhh... who ever said running was fun?

Saturday 08/01: 65.2 miles, 4:42:50 (13.8 mph) Slowest GMR Ever. Bah, finally made it out on my first ride, and it was kind of a wake up call. Maybe it's not running's fault for sucking... maybe there are just consequences for taking 2 weeks off completely. I slept in and ended up being out during the hottest 5 hours of the day. Started out feeling good, made good time to Encanto park... but noticed that my climbing pace was off. It didn't feel bad, just slow. Things got drastically worse after I descended to East Fork though, it was really hot and really windy and I suddenly felt really drained and exhausted. I was secretly hoping to make it to Baldy Village, but was pretty glad I turned back early. Finished the ride just completely pooped.


Training this week: Random medley of 25 miles of hiking, 65 miles of cycling and maybe 5 of running. For some reason I kind of feel like each of these items was not beneficial for the other two...

No comments: