Sunday, August 2, 2009

Note from the Author (07/19/2009 - 07/25/2009)

I'm posting about a month's worth of back-logged entries today. I haven't been posting, but a lot has been happening: my first race, my first swine flu and a whole bunch of ups and downs. Because of this, and because I took a bunch of time off after the race, and because 15 is a nice round number of weeks, I've decided to call this one discrete training cycle.

This is my first Cycling Experience, and little did I imagine the amount of things that would happen. I feel like these are memories that happen to most cyclists over the course of many seasons, but for me, it all happened in 15 weeks. Being hit by a car, getting violently ill before a race, doing my first Wrightwood, being super excited about progress, and super bummed about setbacks, riding with people who are tons faster than you, and also riding by yourself at 5 am in the morning. Not all of this was optimal, by any means, but there's the happy ending. I completed my first bike race, and it was awesome!

I feel like I've earned the right to call myself a cyclist, and now, I've got a big ugly scar and a race result to prove it :)

**************************

Sunday 07/19: ~ 18 miles, ~ 1:10 ish around Denver with Peter. Shake out from the race yesterday. I feel great. I wanted to ride more, but we went to get lunch instead, where I scarfed down a salad, sandwich and french toast in rapid succession. I'm starved! Flu be gone, and this is the first time I've been excited about food in over a week. I guess I'm just really really really hungry.

Monday - Wednesday 07/20 - 22: Off, tired... also lazy. I think my body's had a hard time basically starting at around the Wrightwood adventure, and it's time for a consolidated block of time off. Coincidentally, my mom will be visiting me for a few days this and next week, so it's a good opportunity to rest and recover. On Wednesday night, I drove to Vegas to pick her up from a biology conference. Someone joked that I should bike to Vegas. I kept thinking about that with some terror, as I drove the 265 barren dessert miles in the 108 (at 10 pm!!!) degree weather, basically gaining and losing the same 1500 ft of elevation over and over and over again. I lost count of how many 2000, 3000 and 4000 ft elevation signs I saw!

Thursday - Saturday 07/23 - 25: Off, doing LA things with mom. Drove back on Thurday morning amid thundershowers. Still hot back home though. We went to see the botanical gardens, the San Diego Wild Animal Park and did some gardening and good food. Lots of walking, but also lots of cupcakes :).

No comments: