Saturday, December 13, 2008

Week of 11/30/2008 - 12/06/2008

The Perma-Jogger

Last week on our last day in Boston, Peter mentioned that my stride was short and I don't pick up my feet. Like I was perpetually running up a mountain or something. I guess one could say that... but then it hit me... actually there is NOT anything wrong with my stride. What's wrong with me is that I've become.... Perma-Jogger. Come to think of it, I can't remember the last time that I've actually run, save for a tempo here and there.

Slow, safe, low impact running is basically a nice, shuffle-jog. On a good day, I'll shuffle a little faster, on a bad day, a little slower... but the basic idea is the same. Shuffle-shuffle, shuffle-shuffle. No wonder it seemed impossible to GO much faster. One actually doesn't if one doesn't pick up one's feet! Arghh.... what an effing disaster.


Sunday 11/30: 44:49, Monterrey recovery loop. Felt kind of tired from yesterday, but biked down to the Arroyo and just kind of focused on picking up my feet. An lo and behold, I ran faster than I ever have on this route.

Monday 12/01: 1:09:49, California to RB. Still feeling kind of worn out. Honestly don't remember all that much else about this run. I think it was pleasantly cool this morning.

Tuesday 12/02: Off, shots. Probably not such a bad thing. I think my legs are still trying to adjust to real running.

Wednesday 12/03: Off, unintended. If I had to point to something as a bad omen of things to come, it would probably be this day. I really don't know what happened, other than that 6 am came and went, and I did NOT get out of bed. It was NOT an off day. I had a run already picked out. It was just not good.

Thursday 12/04: 1:28:44, Patrician from the apt (11 miles). Woke up super motivated to stamp out the memory of yesterday and did the run that I was supposed to do. This run was as fantastic as it was unwise for my health. This was one of the first runs that I did as a distance runner, and still one of my favorites today. The hills aren't really very daunting anymore, and the scenery isn't a surprise, but it's still wonderful. I guess it's also a lot of concrete, but I felt like my feet did okay with all the pavement in Boston, so I thought I'd give this a try.

Mostly I was really excited to run free--as in, with little concern for keeping a low HR or overloading mileage. I mapped it when I got home, and realized that it was very nearly 8 minute miles, which is not fast by any means, but given the topology, it's definitely respectable... and it means if I pick up my feet and run, I'm NOT completely useless!

Friday 12/05: 1:03:09, Monterrey to the RB and back. I probably should have taken it easy after my first real run in a very very long time... but I was so excited, I elongated my recovery loop. In hindsight this was the beginning of the end. The top of my L foot and ankle was already giving me trouble at this point, but I was just so elated to have run a good solid run, that I just wanted to do more, I just wanted to run so, so badly. The part of me that felt that way about running had been kept closely muzzled over the past year or so, but yesterday's run had unleashed it again. Little did I know, I would pay for this... yes, yes I would.

Saturday 12/06: 46:21, 2 x Washington Park Loops in Denver. L foot hurt so badly, I probably should have not run on this day. But, what's 5 miles here and there...? I thought. So I embarked, and I actually felt okay despite the altitude, but about 15 minutes in, I felt this acute pain in my L ankle... so terrible that I thought I would have to stop and walk home... but eventually I ran it off, and stupid completed the rest of the run, albeit extremely slowly and cautiously.

Training this week: 5:12:52, of real, bonafide running.

No comments: