Monday, August 25, 2008

Week of 08/24/2008 - 08/30/2008 (Base Week 24)

Yeah okay, maybe last week was only a down week in the sense that it had only 4 days... but I'd say it served its purpose in so much that I feel not dead physically, and a LOT more enthused psychologically.

I think mostly I feel relieved that I chose not to run cross, it makes me feel less pressured and inadequate, and hence more likely to enjoy that which I can do now, rather than to bemoan that which I can't do yet. I'm gonna get there... some day.


Sunday 08/24: 1:26:40, the short long run again from stables to RB perimeter. Same as last Tuesday but taking the slightly longer way back crossing the bridges along the Arroyo. Felt a wee bit tired from yesterday but nothing substantial. Sleeping in continues though, which is a bit of a worrying trend. Started at 7:30 am, which all told isn't horrible... but for some reason I always feel grinchy about missing those nice early dawn hours.

Monday 08/25: Off, shots. Argh, swelling in one arm... they may cut my dose again, I swear I may never get through this damn last bottle. Maybe it's the world's way of telling me I'm not ready for the 6 day training week yet, meh.

Tuesday 08/26: 1:06:58, 5 x Arroyo Tempo Loops with middle 3 as tempo: 15:46, 11:47, 11:42, 11:32, 14:49 plus jog back to car. Not as fast as last week, but I think these were loads better. Effort level was much lower, felt controlled and comfortable. Pushed a little on the last one, but didn't breathe hard until the last 800m or so. Also, there were some fallen trees obstructing the path at one point, which was annoying less because of the time it takes to pick one's way around them, and more because it seriously cuts up your momentum on the slightly downhill portion. On the last cool down lap, a guy was just finishing hauling the trees away. Great timing guys, thanks. Biked to work, felt a little tired.

Wednesday 08/27: 49:04, I'm just going to call the Monterrey to Arroyo Tempo Loop thing the "Monterrey Recovery Loop". Today's was kind of sub-standard. Woke up late again, ugh... it was overcast but kind of warm and damp, AND there was ANOTHER damn tree obstructing a different part of the path. This is really getting old, really quick. Also legs felt tired in a nondescript way, I kinda suspect this has to do with the extra biking... run was slower than I expected w.r.t. perceived effort, which also makes me disgruntled. Biked to work, hoping that my body adjusts soon...

Thursday 08/28: 1:15:22, Lower Arroyo plus some jogging at Garfield park and some doubling back. (Thank goodness I'm no longer so neurotic that I need to know the length of each run down to 2 significant figures...) A great run with the whole team, pace ranged from super easy to a good clip. Felt not half bad, despite being pretty worn out yesterday.

Running with the crew is really fun, but at the same time it really throws me off... I'm so used to solitary hours on the trails, no traffic lights, no company, and a level of inner concentration that you just can't get if you're talking and stopping and constantly trying to adjust to other people's decisions around you. I also found that I get so excited with all the yakking and gossiping that I don't really pay attention to the things that I normally do on a run, like my stride and my HR and all that. I think I'd still like to run with the team every so often, but on a regular basis it probably doesn't suit my training style.

I guess one upside to being old and not an assistant coach is that I can choose what I want for each day. I'm definitely leaving the team in the much more competent, patient and caring hands of KB and Mark. Biked to work, feeling less exhausted and pretty happy.

Friday 08/29: Off, shots... traveling... don't you just love flight delays. Was even in a pretty good mood up until then too. But has some fantastic happy hour appetizers with Peter when I finally did arrive anyways and that made it all better.

Saturday 08/30: 1:02:54, Last Wildcat Trail run... felt kind of sad despite the fact that I'm not particularly attached to the frightening expanse of conservative, white, gated communities around here. The trails are actually pretty quality though with lots of rolling hills. I forgot how painful running at altitude is though, which pretty much quashed my enthusiasm for this run within 30 seconds of setting out the door. Felt moderately better after about 25 minutes, and I managed to make it out pretty far--turned around at this field full of adorable little groundhogs or prairie dogs or whatever they are. They're funny because they don't run away when you come, they all just perk up and look at you quizzically.


Training this week: 5:38:58
Goals: To lose the weight I gained while Peter was here (End of week addendum--I did, but then I gained it right back again when I went to visit him... *sigh*)

1 comment:

Ryan said...

I'm still fascinated by the precision you strive for in your running. Like, there's no way you could ever have known your runs to +/- 16 meters - and how do you pay attention to your HR and stride? Do you think: I need to step longer on that step, ooops - too long, my HR is too high...oh crap too low...left elbow is swinging too far out. I can see how this can easily generate neurosis. Maybe instead of this high-resolution precision, something more on the week or two-week time scale is more appropriate? Like, I ran too slow this week. Last month I broke my leg. And then some runs with companions can just be enjoyable and you can --- relax.