Sunday, August 17, 2008

Week of 08/17/2008 - 08/23/2008 (Base Week 23)

A down week is definitely in order.

Feeling really worn out, it was a big week last week and a whole bunch before that > 5 hours. I think the jump from 4 hours to 5+ hours went a lot faster than say going from 3 hours to 4 hours... add in some extra biking to work and I think I just have to not lose sight of the fact that I'm still working my way up.

Sunday 08/17: ~2:20 riding the new Vitus, 9 RB laps. Woke up feeling really really bad. I don't really mind soreness, but this was not sore... this was like this awful warm, inflamed, on the verge of some injury-type feeling all through my legs, just tired and worn out. Thought riding would take some strain off, but it was still pretty hard... on the upside, I feel pretty competent with the downtube shifters now. Hopefully day off will be good, and I can shift my long run over to Tuesday.

Monday 08/18: Off, shots. Felt crappy and bummed, didn't get very much done, meaning I will be extremely stressed tomorrow...

Tuesday 08/19: 1:20:09, California back to the stables then around the RB and back, same route as two Sundays ago. Unintentionally harder than usual long runs... but pace kept creeping up. I think its because its been 2 days since the last run. Felt pretty good, was glad that I felt ready and motivated to go... don't want to fall into a funk here. Every so often I have these weird days where I feel irrationally despondent and not wanting to run, and Sunday was one of those... I was a little worried about that and how I'd feel today, but it was okay.

Wednesday 08/20: 49:23, Monterrey to end of Arroyo Loop, intentionally super super easy. Felt good, another wonderfully overcast, cool morning--I'm really liking the morning fog these days. Rode to work, first time on the red bike, it was fantastic! No computer though, so I'm just going to call all of these trips 70 minutes.

Thursday 08/21: 58:56, RB trail perimeter plus detour to yellow JPL gate. Was kind of blah in the beginning, but then started feeling really really good after the little hill up by Devil's Gate. Got a bit of a late start this morning, but it's still unseasonably cool. Awesome. Didn't get to ride to work due to after work event... *sigh*.

Friday 08/22: Off, shots. Tired. There's this new annoying guy at work. He bugs me every 5 minutes about inane things ... so had to work under someone's desk and behind some boxes to be able to get anything done. My back is all tweaked out now, this can't continue.

Saturday 08/23: 1:56:10, Brown Mountain Adventure Loop. Up to the end of the Brown Mtn Fireroad, then back via El Prieto trail. 59:30 to end of fireroad, going easy until the trail splits, then started picking up the pace the rest of the way. Felt really good for most of it, but the last 5 minutes or so I was ready to be done... and the trail just goes on and on and on...

Unfortunately, got a pretty late start today so it was already sunny and warmer than I enjoy. Was pretty thirsty already at the top, so decided to take a gamble on trying to locate El Prieto trail which I thought would be a shortcut. Thankfully two mountain bikers turned into the trail right in front of me, so I was able to find the entrance... but it turns out its a pretty rough trail. The mountain bikers promptly crashed into a pile about 10 feet in, so I had to pick my way around that, and I didn't see them the rest of the way. Descent ended up taking almost as much as going up... I really don't enjoy going downhill. Took it really easy today. All in all a good run.


Training this week: 5:04:38 plus ~ 3:30 cycling
Goals: To keep things under control, no injuries.

No comments: