Monday, March 31, 2008

Week of 03/30/2008 - 04/05/2008 (Base Week 3)

Week 2 has safely passed and overall I feel pretty good about how it went. Didn't increase training minutes, but the Thursday/Saturday runs felt a lot more solid than Week 1. Good to have a bit more variety in pace, even if its like pulling teeth.

To be conservative and mindful of my abysmal endurance levels, I'm starting off with a few 3 week microcycles, so every 3 weeks there's a down week. So far, not doing a great job of this first down week, but anticipating Saturday to be lost to skiing, so the total training minutes should be pretty low this week. Just gotta keep my fingers crossed for no ugly crashes...


Sunday 03/30: 1:00:12, some trundling around the Arroyo/RB. Was supposed to be a 50-55 min scaled back long run, but couldn't find a good route, so after some faulty mental math and mish-mashings of various loops, I ended up with a 60 minute run, oh, well. Felt increasingly better towards the end. Always go through this weird thing with longer runs where the first 20-30 min kind of feels like a drag, and then it clears up and its quicker and easier towards the end. This is why I prefer my long runs to be 90+ minutes so that the good-feeling part is larger proportion of the whole.

Monday 03/31: Off. Shot day. Not enough sleep, bad way to start off the week. L ankle not feeling so hot...

Tuesday 04/01: 41:33, 3 x Arroyo Tempo Loops in 14:12, 11:37, 14:25 plus jog to car. Waiting for that tempo section to converge to acceptable pacing is like watching grass grow. Actually, I guess I should be thankful that progress IS being made at all. At this rate, I may even be at target pace in just over a month. I'm always afraid that this week will be the week where something blows up and I get slower than last week. But, so far so good.

Not the best of runs though... woke up feeling really drained and crappy after wasting 4 of 8 hours of sleep on nightmares. Almost did not get out of bed, noticed HR was a tick higher than last week, then got attacked by 3 loose dogs about 3 minutes into the tempo loop, and just never really regained composure... I was in the *perfect* stride/effort level until the dogs, then everything got all messed up, kinda didn't settle back down. ARGH. CURB YOUR EFF-ING DOG(S) PEOPLE!!!!! *shakes fist*

Wednesday 04/02: 36:20, Parked at Monterrey and ran out 18 or so minutes in the Arroyo and came back. Feeling pretty good! First time that body isn't trashed after tempo day. Also feeling kind of tormented about the whole down week. I really don't LIKE it. I don't have enough minutes to really have room to cut any! Not that I've cut significantly yet, but today and tomorrow are going to be 5-10 minutes shorter each, then Saturday is an additional off day, so overall its a large drop in training minutes.

Thursday 04/03: 42:13, Monterrey to bridge loop. Felt alright, definitely out of that rough patch where this run was taking an inordinate amount of time. Ran into the same lady walking her dog a couple of times, on the last one, she said "wow, you're fast!". I'm not, but it was nice of her anyways.

Friday 04/04: Off. Shot day, plus traveling. Got into Denver late, but so happy to see Peter!

Saturday 04/05: Skiing! A great day. Having barely squeaked over the 3 hours of training mark, went off to play hooky with a moderately clear conscience. It's been about 10 years since the last time I skied with any frequency, so it was a little bit harrowing at first... but was really fun as I started to remember how it works. Had some nasty spills, but nothing affecting my running parts, so was pleased. Fell on my face though, wasn't so good.


Target Training this week: 3 - 3.5 hours
Actual Training: 3:00:18

NEW! courtesy of Tech Staff--Consternment Index: Medium-Low

1 comment:

Sarah said...

today while i was willing myself through what could possibly be the worst run I can remember (rain, wind, hot, allergies), this guy rode up next to me on his bike and said "do you know how fast you are running right now? you are running so fast" I was not amused and replied "why yes, i know exactly how fast I'm running" at which point I glanced at my trusty garmin to discover I was running 9:15 miles. I told him that and he was like wow thats so fast. i wanted to cry. how did it take me 53 minutes to run six miles. seriously.