Sunday, March 9, 2008

Week of 03/09/2008 - 03/15/2008 (Mystery Week 2)

The Mystery continues...

On Sunday, about 10 minutes from the end of my run, I felt this intense rush of pain travel from the tips of all five toes on the left foot, radiating up towards my ankles. At first I thought, AAAARRRGGGGHHH! I've finally done it, this must be some invisible stress fracture turning into a real fracture... but miraculously, the pain was fleeting, and I kept running just fine after that. There were a few smaller aftershocks, but I finished my run with both feet feeling strong.

Feet didn't feel great for the rest of the day, but strangely every day after that, I've seen measurable improvement. For the first time in over a year I actually feel like its getting BETTER instead of that I'm struggling daily to prevent the condition from worsening into a state of not being able to run or walk at all. Wednesday's run had no pain at all... when I walk, I don't take steps anticipating pain or trying not to favor the left side. It's weird!

I hope I haven't jinxed it by noting the improvement, but I feel cautiously optimistic about this. I'm actually not sure if this has anything at all to do with the mystery pain on Sunday, or whether its a function of only running 4 days a week instead of 6... its not really clear.


Sunday 03/09,: 48:46, "long" run down to the third bridge and back on the other side from Monterrey. Tried to wake up earlier than yesterday, but still REALLY HOT. Meh. I felt pretty stiff and horrible when I started this run, but I realized that my upper body cramped and my legs felt tired in an unfamiliar way bc of the riding yesterday. As the run went along, felt increasingly better, but took it real easy anyways.

Monday 03/10: Off. Shot day. Also a lot of work, meh. Took Peter to airport at 5 am. Did not feel good after that. Want to maximize awake time together, but we need to go to sleep earlier.

Tuesday 03/11: Off. Slept through alarm. Lame.

Wednesday 03/12: 43:12, 3 x Arroyo Tempo Loops with middle one as a pick-up. 14:46, 12:06, 14:52 plus jog back to car. Soooooooooooo slooooooooooooowwwwwwww.... g-damn. Didn't feel like I struggled, breathing was pretty even, but HR was so alarmingly high, I really didn't want to push harder. Felt kind of antsy, legs really wanted to go faster. I really dislike that feeling that feeling, that the rest of me can't keep up with my legs. Its like suddenly I got transported to a parallel universe where I haven't exercised a day in my life.

Thursday 03/13: 44:02, Monterrey to bridge, gah did NOT feel good... I guess trying to run fast yesterday was tiring. Felt just groggy and out of sorts. Sometimes its hard to believe how little my body will handle... also really sleep deprived. Stressed and discouraged feeling.

Friday 03/14: Off, shot day. Also Oxy Distance Carnival day. Good to see all of the peeps, but jealous of all the folks who are racing :-/. I don't really remember what racing feels like anymore. Ankle also really bad today. Meh. Really exhausted, had to go home right away after meet was over.

Saturday 03/15: Off. Slept until about 1 pm, then took another nap from 3 - 7 pm. Dreamed fitfully of work... Something is seriously wrong with me. Mentally and physically exhausted. Felt really unwell.


Target Training this week: 3 hours
Actual Training: 2:16:00

1 comment:

Katherine said...

Heya,

Glad to hear you're actually... picking things up! I mean, this is huge! Are you coming out to Oxy tomorrow night?