Thursday, August 30, 2007

Week of 08/26/2007 - 09/01/2007 (Transition Week 2)

Like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag...

Steve Slattery is so funny. Granted he had being suddenly transplanted to altitude as an excuse for feeling that way... whereas, I on the other hand am just fat, and woefully, woefully, out of shape.

I'm running and updating again, but as the former is going so poorly, I'm feeling more than a bit cantankerous. If by some unlucky chance, you do happen to see me running, and I sincerely hope that you don't... kindly avert your eyes and refrain from asking how it went. Just pretend that you asked me how my run was, and know that my answer would have been: "Like 10 pounds of shit in a 5 pound bag."

Sunday 08/26: 3.5 miles, 34 minutes. Rule #1: Never, EVER eat a large roast beef and cheese bread sandwich 1 hour before a taxing run. Unfortunately for me, running right now only comes in one variety--taxing. The sandwich, ofcourse, was delicious, but the run, was probably one of the worst I've ever had. Jogged painfully from Peter's to the North Fields, struggled mightily through 10 laps, then jogged back to Peter's. Am still amazed that I did not keel over or barf up my sandwich.

Saw Kiesz, then Markimarkonnen... *big sigh*... wanted to run away, but knew that I wouldn't make it to the next closest source of grass, so had to suck it up and be observed in this compromised state. The painful cramping/distended stomach feeling really complimented the usual drowning/suffocating feeling to create a thoroughly delightful running experience. Was glad to survive this one and never make this mistake again.

Monday 08/27 - Tuesday 08/28: Off. Woke up on Monday morning and nearly fell back over due to a sharp and unexpected pain in R arch. Gathering my wits a bit, I determined very quickly that this must be plantar fasciitis pain. Judging from the location and the unforgiving nature of it, it just couldn't be anything else. Remembered groggily that I had neglected to stretch or ice after Sunday's debacle due to the preoccupation with the sandwich induced discomfort. Thoroughly regretted the decision and the consequences... but some too late but copious icing and stretching on Monday brought the condition mostly under control. Took Tuesday off too to be safe, still nursing a slight twinge in the R arch. Was definitely a scare, but recovered about as well as I could have hoped.

Wednesday 08/29: 3.1 miles, 29:39 for 10 laps around the North Fields. REALLY CRAPPY YET AGAIN. Also, lightly rolled R ankle, had to stop to shake it out. Felt really irritated. Feet and legs are feeling pretty good, but the hot, suffocating sensation is unrelenting from the stomach up. Still can't manage anything faster than about 3 minutes per lap. I don't even recognize what I've become. Its as if I'd never run a day in my life before this.

Thursday 08/30: Unplanned off day due to pain at the ankle where the rolling took place yesterday. Feeling grouchy. This whole returning to running thing hasn't exactly been terribly successful from any standpoint so far.

Friday 08/31 - Saturday 09/01: Feeling some aches and pains in the L arch. This isn't the heel pain or the plantar fasciitis type pain... its just the same old thing that precipitated my training decline all last year. I actually remember the first day I felt it, it was while turning right onto Fremont from my house, and it was like this sudden, unforeseen sharp stanbing pain right at the base of my ankle where the highest point of the arch is. It freaked me out, but for some reason it resolved itself without further problems that time... this was like sometime in summer of 2005. Since then its just gotten worse and worse, in so much that the frequency of occurence has drastically increased and so too the recovery time between flare ups. Its hard to tell what exactly is wrong too, because there isn't really a tendon associated with the precise spot... its just this mystery shooting pain. Kind of cramps the comeback though. Argh.

5 comments:

Katherine said...

Don't let the taxing-ness get to your head. You'll get through it. You're going to have to put in your time, but you will do it and you will be fit again. I promise.

Ryan said...

this blog is my one-stop-shop for depression

Ian said...

Morning pain from plantar fasciitis doesn't occur (as far as I know) in the actual arch of the foot, but at the very point of the heel. It can be a little confusing when you first get it because it feels like it could be achilles tendinitis, but the pain, as bad as it is for the first few steps, goes away after you're up for a little while.

If the pain is in the arch itself it' could be a strain of one of the little foot muscles that actuates the arch-- which is definitely a better problem to have than plantar fasciitis.

Markkimarkkonnen said...

how can you roll your ankle on the north field?

that's like saying you drowned in the atacama desert or you went hypoglycemic at the dairy queen

Garrett said...

oh man dairy queen is soooo good.