Friday, August 10, 2007

Week of 08/05/2007 - 08/11/2007 (Recovery Week 7)

Today might be the first day this week that I've made it to bed before 2 am. Consequently, the whole training plan aspect and the progression of weekly mileage has mostly been lost to the sheer will to survive the tsunami of work that has hit in the past 2 weeks. I'm basically in salvage mode right now, just basically squeezing in rides wherever they will fit. Typically they're just slow rides, base miles, no climbing, cuz that's about all my sleep deprived body can handle.

I saw Chavez, Ramon and the Oxy gang running the trails along the Rose Bowl last week. I saw them on lap 3, and by lap 4, my HR had sky-rocketed 10-20 bpm. I realized that I hadn't really seen any serious runners out training for like, months and months... until I was clobbered by the pang of jealousy mixed with nostalgia mixed with longing. Its been so long since I've run a step that its almost become the norm to live with the fact that I can't... but seeing the real runners out just brought all of the emotional angst crashing back down. Unconsciously I mashed the pedals harder, as if the increased effort would bring me sooner to the state of having two viable feet.

Sunday 08/05: 32.6 miles, 2:08 ride time, 15.2 mph average. 8 of probably the slowest laps I've ever done at the RB. Definitely feeling some form of fatigue from yesterday's debacle. Didn't feel bad, surprisingly, it was just... really really slow. Actually relatively relaxing and mercifully few serious athletes to shame me.

Monday 08/06 - Wednesday 08/08: Another disasterous week at work, absolutely no time for anything. Did physical therapy with Peter on Tuesday, felt like I'm making a lot of progress. Mysterious bruised sensation on R heel is basically the only thing that's keeping me from running at this point. I'd like for that to heal completely, and make it through some more PT though, which means that I won't meet my goal of having my first run be for my birthday next week.

Thursday 08/09: 30.9 miles, 1:59 ride time, 15.6 mph average. Successfully administered an all day training for the principals at our schools, at last, the all nighters are at an end. Went immediately home afterwards to ride to Encanto park and back. Really chill ride was all I could manage, and didn't have time for anything longer. Not excited about where my fitness is entering second hell week of work... but it just felt SO, SO fantastic to be on the bike again. The sedentary life does not suit me. The stress has totally collapsed my healthy eating resolve though. Today I had 3 bowls of strawberry jello, fried chicken and 1 slice of pepperoni pizza... yikes.

Friday 08/10: 35.8 miles, 2:27 ride time, 14.5 mph average to Clear Creek and back. Woo hoo! Finally, a bit of a breakthrough. Made it from base of the 2 to the ranger station at Clear Creek in an acceptable time of 61 minutes, for the first time this summer, averaging about 8.5 mph. I never felt terrible, but it did require a lot more effort and a high HR to achieve this, but now, at least I know I can. Felt vaguely encouraged about climbing for the first time this summer. Good ride, except for getting into a yelling match with a car at an intersection.

3 comments:

kangway said...

Megumi, I just thought of something. Maybe this doesn't analogy doesn't work for you, but this goes back to the dating runners thing. You said they need to be one so they can understand it. I previously argued that they don't need to do it (as to understand the why) they only need to know that it is important to you (understanding how important).

In any case, I was thinking about alcohol tonight. I know a lot of people drink, but I for one don't, and don't really plan on doing it. In any case, does this mean I should exclude drinkers from my scope of datable people, or that they should exclude me from their scope? I don't think so. I think that as long as I understand that it is something they do and that they do it because they feel it is an important factor to them (in most cases I would assume that this is a social factor, or maybe they like the way they feel when they drink, or something), then that's enough. As long as they understand that I don't drink and it is a particular belief that I hold strongly, I think that is enough.

I don't expect that anybody I dated should ever be forced to not drink, and I don't think that I should be forced to drink in order to better understand them. It is one part of an entire person and can only account for so much of a compatibility factor.

So could you argue the same for drinkers? That drinkers must date drinkers because they will understand eachother better? I think it is fair to argue that drinking can be far reaching enough that it affects people in significant ways, both socially and personally.

Markkimarkkonnen said...

don't worry, kevin chaves and alex ramon get me excited, too

Markkimarkkonnen said...

you're a full week overdue in posting, megumi