Saturday, June 30, 2007

Week of 06/24/2007 - 06/30/2007 (Recovery Week 1)

I've optimistically decided to call this week "Recovery" instead of "Separated Metatarsal". Unless something goes drastically wrong, I've been promised to be cleared for walking and riding sans el Star Wars Boot on Thursday, June 28th.

The end is actually kind of tangible now, though I am slightly experiencing the Waiting Theory of Relativity (WTR)... that is, time slows drastically with increasing proximity to desired event. Christmas and birthdays aren't really that exciting anymore, but this one is huge, second only to the anticipation of getting my plaster and crutches type cast off in 2001. I just remember thinking back then, that I wouldn't need anything else in the world to be happy, if I could only just walk (wasn't an athlete back then...).

Walking is great and all, but the stakes are a little bit higher now... I'll get there some day.

Sunday 06/24 - Monday 06/25: Nothing. The funk continues from last week. Kind of stressed, can't sleep at night. Feeling vaguely head-achey all of the time and crappy. I sat down on the couch one day, and realized that I now have a real stomach roll... the kind that spills flabbily over the waist of your pants... .

Tuesday 06/26: Motivated by the discovery of the stomach roll, trundled off to the gym today. Saw Kiesz (not) playing softball with the chem grad students, oh the memories... it was better back in my day though, when the fields weren't enclosed by a chainlink fence, and there was a big stack of Coors Light by the third base line.

Anyways, same set of lifting as last week, core strengthening, stretching. Felt alright. Probably the last comprehensive lifting, though hope to maintain lat pull down, bench and hopefully tricep dips on a continuing basis to help with the fact that my shoulders cramp when I run because I am so, so weak.

Wednesday 06/27: Off. Last day to be fat! Ate a fantastic vietnamese meal with melon smoothie and fried bananas. Looking forward to tomorrow.

Thursday 06/28: And the day of reckoning has arrived at last. Ortho doc on the morning, was successfully cleared for exercising. Got a prescription for physical therapy to correct the atrophy pain associated with the left ankle/arch. Walking feels funny, but oh, so good!

Nice leisurely stroll* to farmer's market in honor of Ryan's imminent departure :(. Bought some excellent fruit and Peruvian dinner by the South Pas library, yum!

*leisurely stroll caused sharp pain in my L arch that night, but mostly corrected with some icing and sleeping. Metatarsal joint a bit stiff, a bit more puffy than usual, but no pain.

Friday 06/29: First ride back! Ditched work a bit early to go ride 5 laps around the Rose Bowl, plus commuting time. 23.57 miles in 1:27 for 16.1 mph average. Fun, legs actually felt pretty good, but struggled badly on the cardio front. HR immediately jumped to 158 and then to 175 where it stayed for the rest of the ride, despite leisurely pace... I am SUCH A FRED, GOOD GRIEF. My bike has been much improved and my fitness had been much decreased, ergo a double whammy for the Fred Index. Wished desperately for a sign that said "This is my first day out of a cast... please be kind!"

Very happy with the new improvements though. Seat is so comfortable, no more chafing, thank goodness! Helmet fits perfectly, even though its an ugly bright blue color instead of Bianchi green... Shoes are really stiff and good, orthotics fit well, didnt feel any strain on the toe at all. L arch hurt, but it pretty much is consistently unhappy, irrespective of what shoe I am wearing, so decided to chalk it up to atrophied ligaments and wait for PT to strengthen all of that back.

Saturday 06/30: Day 2, struggled mightily through 6 laps of the Rose Bowl, 26.6 miles, 1:44, 15.2 mph average. HR lower, 150-170. Pretty discouraging... legs felt TOTALLY dead and leaden from yesterday, that horrible leaden, heavy, aching feeling. I actually kind of like the running sore feeling, but this is just unbearable.

This is one of those days where I feel embarassed to call myself an athlete. The only thing that separated me from those fat people creaking slowly along on $100 walmart bikes today is $1400 of lighter, faster bike. Felt just a smidge better after 1 hour of grueling slowness, so decided to stick out the last 3 laps. No way I'm going to be able to stick to my plan of 1 lap/day rate of increase.

Thanks to all for your congratulations, despite the last entry, I am really psyched to be back in some way. Don't hold your breath on the running again, but drink of your choice on me to celebrate when that day comes for anyone and everyone!

3 comments:

Ryan said...

orthotics in biking shoes? crazy stuff. congrats on your first ride bike - your first run though, that'll be cause to celebrate.

kangway said...

I remember hearing Steve talk about pronation and cycling shoes, and how a little pronation is good for delivering more power, he was talking about something on the order of 2 degrees, though.

Katherine said...

WAY TO GO BABE! I'm so pumped. Are you going to bring your bike down this weekend?