Wednesday, January 3, 2007

Week of 12/31/2006 - 01/06/2007 (Injury Recovery)

Happy 2007 Everyone!!!

My New Running Year is off to a really horrible start. Luckily for all, my new years resolution is to grow a thicker skin about the disappointments in my life, running and otherwise. It took basically 4 weeks to recover from my last 2-week stretch of time off, so, with any luck, I'll be fine by the end of January, before any of the little track meets even start happening. If my last race is in May, I'm hoping that I'll still be able to peak properly despite the fact that my early stage base training has been moderately sub-optimal.

Sunday 12/31 - Tuesday 01/02: Off. Depressed. Ankle still moderately but constantly inflamed. Stretching and icing don't really help. It may soon be time for the NSAID plan.

Wednesday 01/03: In the AM--65 minute progression run on the treadmill. Started at ~10 min. miles, increased speed every 2-3 minutes then ended with 15 minutes at sustained 6:50-ish pace on a slight incline. Followed immediately with 12 oz. Cytomax and 1 Advil.

I don't think treadmills are really running, but this is for therapeutic purposes. I realized that over the past 3 weeks, I've developed a very awkward and lopsided gait to compensate for the weakness of my left ankle. I've been ever so slightly shifting my foot mechanics to take the strain off of whatever was hurting, which is why the site of the pain would shift every 2-3 days. In addition, I take one normal step with the right leg, and then a smaller shuffle step with the left side, which sort of explains why every run I did last week was abnormally slow.

The only reason that I am aware of these things is because I went to the gym to do 1 hour on the elliptical, but all of the ellipticals were in use. So I decided to test the waters with the treadmill on a low setting, which allowed me to realize what I was doing--because the ground under me is moving at a constant rate, each of the smaller weaker steps I took with the left foot results in an uncomfortable lurch backwards from where I used to be.

After some experimenting, I realized that forcing myself to run "normally" putting my full weight on the left foot with the same footstrike as the right side actually took pressure off of the current pain point, and after 10 minutes I realized I could make it through an hour relatively comfortably. So I reset the time counter to 60 minutes and was on my way.

I think I may do the treadmill workout for the rest of the days in this week, if only to force myself to re-learn proper stride mechanics. My theory is that what I was thinking of as "progress" in healing my ankle over the past few weeks was only just a series of form adjustments that gradually distorted my mechanics into something that my ankle could no longer sustain. I'm not entirely sure how to fix it, but if the aspirin can control the low level inflamation, I feel like I could gradually strengthen the ligaments in the bad ankle to support proper form.

In the PM--35 minutes on the elliptical, breathing hard. I hate the elliptical. Tried to run one lap of the south field on the grass, but it hurt a very large amount. I guess I'm not ready for real running... I miss running outside so much, it hurts (emotionally, even more so than physically). 1 Advil before going to bed.

Thursday 01/04: Oh, holy crap. Why did I do that to my body... Woke up today and legs sore, ankle stiff, can't really move very well. I think the sore is a good sore... instead of a damaged beyond repair sore... but we'll see tomorrow.

Friday 01/05 - Saturday 01/06: No excuses, I just suck. Didn't do anything other than feel sorry for myself. Tested out some light jogging, its possible I may be good to come back on Sunday.

No comments: