Thursday, December 28, 2006

Week of 12/24/2006 - 12/30/2006 (Base Phase)

Merry Christmas all!

Dear Santa,

Maybe I haven't quite been as good as I could have been, but I would really like a new left foot. Preferably one that's an exact mirror image of my right foot. One that's not shorter, smaller and weaker than the other one... one that will let me just get through more than 2 week of training at a time...

Sunday 12/24: 12.1 miles, 1:49:15 Palomar loop. Holy crap, I've lost the ability to do long runs at any sort of reasonable pace. Felt fine, L ankle more sore than I'd like. The pain has shifted from the inner top part of the foot, down to my inner arch, then to the heel/achilles and now has settled right under the base of the tibia on the outside. I thought, since it has gone full circle, it would go away from there, but its not.

Monday 12/25: Off. Christmas, yum.

Tuesday 12/26: 7 miles, attempted some tempo work, but it was abandoned after about 3 miles @ 7 minute pace. Pathetic. Ankle hurt quite a bit.

Happy Birthday Pat! =)

Wednesday 12/27: Off. It hurts to walk now. Something at the base of the tibia isn't sore anymore, its actively inflamed. Frick. I now don't know what the right decision for Carlsbad is. This sucks.

Thursday 12/28: 41.3 miles, 2 hours and 45 minutes, biking. Originally Mt. Wilson to Clear Creek, but brutal headwind the whole way... About 3 miles up the 2, the crosswinds picked up and made it almost impossible to 1) steer in any predictable direction and 2) stay on the bike at all. After almost getting hit by 3 cars, decided to turn back early.

Peeved about the shortened ride, so stopped on my way home to do (1 on, 1 off) x 3 Rose Bowl circuits, which were... extremely ugly. 9:30-ish a piece except for the last, which was... much slower. I suck.

Friday 12/29: Off. Too much work, and then it got too dark to ride. Meanwhile my ankle is sore again, even to walk. This is a disaster....

Saturday 12/30: 40.3 miles, Mt. Wilson to Clear Creek by bike. One lap of Rose Bowl detour with Ian. Good ride, but so cold and so slow. Complete opposite of running, felt aerobically strong, but legs just tired and killing me. I guess I don't really have any biking muscles left anymore.

Target Mileage: 45 miles
Week Actual: 19.25 miles
Last Week: 50.3 miles

Mostly biking this week to try to heal the mystery foot pain. meh.
Hoping for a clean and healthy start in the New Year.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Hope the new year brought you a new foot. I have intiguing new information for you.

Patrick said...

Don't worry too much; there's many and many a month before the big track races. You've got time.

If you want to even out your aerobic capacity with your leg strength, try taping your mouth and one nostril shut.

That would be one heck of a workout.