Wednesday, December 13, 2006

Week of 12/10/2006 - 12/16/2006 (Base Phase)

So, here's the conundrum:

Orthotics --> Mystery Ankle pain
Not Orthotics --> Shin Splints

I've managed to identify the source and cause of the persistent ankle pain as being an inflammation in some tendon in my inside arch of the left foot, which percolates up across the top of my foot until it manifests itself in a burst of sharp, shooting pain at the bend of the ankle where one normally ties shoe laces. I guess I've had this pain at a low level ever since I first started training in September, but it never became prohibitive until the middle of the Tiger Run 2 weeks ago.

Observations support the theory that 2 years of wearing orthotics have weakened the ligaments in my feet and that they are no longer stabilizing my foot in the correct way . Dr. Rossi says that the problem is manifesting preferentially in the Left Ankle because of the trauma from surgery 5 years ago. Taking days off seems to have minimal effect, since resting isn't strengthening the ligaments. I've seen marked improvement after every day of running without orthotics, but the increased pronation seems to be causing the beginnings of shin splints, the ailment for which the orthotics were originally procured. Every day with the orthotics, however, seems to re-damage the inflamed tendon...

Sunday 12/10: 6.5 miles, 52:13 Arroyo back on Orange Grove, easy in new shoes, Saucony Triumph 4, without orthotics. Had to scrap the Sunday long run because yesterday's jogging seems to have aggravated the left ankle/arch again.

Monday 12/11: 8.5 miles, orthotics. 21 minutes of jogging around South fields to warm up, 2 x 2 miles, 21 minutes of jogging cool down. 13:34 (6:48, 6:46), 13:34 (6:43,6:51) on 2 minutes of rest.

UUYYYYY... seriously a new low. I just don't know what went wrong. I felt pretty confident going on, ankle felt much better after yesterday's jog, was going at a quick clip on the warm-up. Definitely expected improvement over last week, but I knew within the first few laps that something was wrong. Breathing was short, coughing, something was pulling in L calf, couldn't find a stride or a rhythm, ankle hurt increasingly more as time went on.

Lay defeated across the starting line on the track after second one... feel tired and broken, even though I didn't even get a good workout. This is where all the dreams begin and end... well for runners of events that are integer multiples of 400m, anyways. I don't even know what I am... I'm probably a 10K runner (n =25), but it feels like my dreams have already been crushed.

Tuesday 12/12: 5.9 miles, 49:15 Arroyo short loop, no orthotics. Ankle felt seriously damaged from yesterday, it took the first 2 miles to find my stride, but felt okay towards the end.

Wednesday 12/13: 7 miles, Bailey Canyon Trail to Wilson Connector, 27:29 to camp, 45:02 to sign, 1:17:33 total. Psyched about new PR to sign post. Everything felt great. I was a little nervous about wearing the Frees on the trail for the first time, but turned out to be the best decision I've made all week. Ankle and arches felt awesome, felt calves working a bit harder than usual, but legs felt strong, breathing under control, pleasant warm breeze.

Finally, some answers. I feel pretty confident about my theory about the correlation between foot problems and orthotics. I also realized that I need to be more patient about where I'm at with my strength and endurance. It's not that I'm completely out of shape, but apparently I'm just not ready to handle a full load of training elements again. Last week I had a solid track tempo session, but then tanked the hill climb. This week I tanked the tempo work, but nailed the mountain run. As consterning as this is, I need to space out my hard workouts and keep the reduced mileage load until I can consistently log a long run, a tempo session and a hill climb without exhausting my body to the point that it compromises my next workout.

Thursday 12/14: 5.2 miles, 43:58 recovery jog up and down Orange Grove (no orthotics). Felt happy to be out running. Liking the warm weather, ankle felt a bit sore, but no shooting pains. I think its a good sign.

Friday 12/15: off. Usually Saturday is my normal off day, but due to the Girls on the Run 5K buddy-being tomorrow, today will be my off day. Probably good to let ankle rest a day too.

Saturday 12/16: 6.5 miles, ~2 miles jog from California to Rose Bowl Parking Lot H, 5K around Rose Bowl with Savannah, then ~2 miles back to car. It started raining immediately upon getting back to the car, impeccable timing indeed. Savannah is one quick chick, 24:58 for a 5K off of no training, not bad for a 7th grader! Looking forward to working with her. I accidentally tripped her at the beginning of the race though... hope we're not off to inauspicious beginnings.

Target Mileage: 45 miles
Week Actual: 39.6 miles
Last Week: 39.7 miles

Dang, the lack of long run and the self imposed day off are totally killing me. The most important thing about this week though, is the break through about the orthotics. I haven't worn them for 5 days and I think my ankle is going to be okay, I won't have to take any more time off after all!

**Note: I did see various people's suggestions for the one foot with an orthotic thing, and I actually DID try a lot of these things, but it was just too weird, it felt like it threw off my center of balance and made my stride uneven. The problem is that the orthotics also pretty much prevent proper forefoot flexion. For right now I'm doing okay with a pair of soft spenco arch support inserts.

5 comments:

Markkimarkkonnen said...

maybe you should wear orthotics in only your right shoe, and then see if you only get shin splints on the left side. that would be interesting.

kangway said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
kangway said...

You could try that, but it might just give you a whole new set of problems. I tried that for a run once. I put a superfeet insert in one shoe, and the other foot I had the regular one. It was really annoying and messed with your system. Basically, the level you're used to planting your feet is not the same, and I think it messes with your hip/spine alignment. I think you should put your orthodic in your left shoe, and wear nike frees on your right shoe, and since your right leg is longer than your left leg it could all potentially even out. Maybe?

Ryan said...

When are we going to do the Idiot Run? I suggest early January so we'll be nice and injured and possibly dead for Carlsbad.

Markkimarkkonnen said...

kangway are you naturally retarded or did you have to work at it? Maybe you should try wearing a big clown shoe on one foot, and a dead raccoon on the other. Don't knock it till you try it. Think of all the gooey, gelatinous cushioning provided by a dead raccoon. also, wearing a dead raccoon on your foot is a great way to impress girls at parties.

what's an idiot run? does it involve mountains, because if so, the answer is probably never. or maybe it should be, as soon as they incorporate mountains in the 1500m