Tuesday, December 27, 2011

the week of stupid

When I first started running, I thought that doing stupid things was kinda awesome.  10 hilly miles with no training? Super!  Back to back 15 milers?  Fantastic!  Throughout the years, it’s become apparent that my body no longer tolerates these indiscretions… but it’s still hard to shake the psychology that pain = gain, and that things have got to hurt once in a while if you’re working appropriate hard.

I was tired going into Patrician last week, then after hopping straight onto a red eye and pulling an all nighter, I felt absolutely destroyed.  But runs had been going so well the past few weeks, I didn’t want to back off.  I also didn’t want to admit defeat on this measly mileage total of 35 miles per week.  So I kept on trucking until I realized mid-week that it hurt to walk, and the muscles in my right hamstring had become so tight that I couldn’t touch my toes without sending sharp pain shooting all the way down to my knee.  Runs had slowed to a crawl… but I kept thinking one more day of jogging and things would feel better!  False, M, false.

After spending a day, sitting on my aching right buttock and contemplating whether or not I had managed to give myself some odd stress fracture of the pelvic structure… I was a little bit freaked out by the fact that I couldn’t really remember exactly when it had gone from good to bad.  Which was the day that put me over the line from acceptable fatigue to “you are headed for a serious injury”?  Looking back at my logs and spreadsheets, I can’t really tell.  I didn’t really start to slow down significantly until this week, but thinking back really honestly, the right hammy wasn’t okay dating back to Napa… I just didn’t really want to deal with it because I was busy and as long as I could crank out those 7:20 miles, it didn’t seem worth worrying too much about.

Anyways, it all goes to show that older is not always wiser.  Making good choices is a constant struggle and not just a one-time lesson.  I started stretching and doing my PT again every day since Wednesday, and my right leg feels tons better.  The weird pain in my L ankle is also stabilizing… I still feel sort of wiped out in general, and runs don’t feel peppy and strong as they did before, but I think I’m headed towards recovery.

Sunday 12/18/2011:  Off, traveling home.  Legs exhausted today, did some light jogging, 3 miles (total) to and from Dad’s apartment to deliver cookies and cakes, but I don’t think I’ll count this as mileage.  Uphill segment I timed at almost exactly 9 minute miles, the downhill segment was probably slower, turns out its slow going trying to run while holding delicious comestibles.

Monday 12/19/2011:  Second Smallest Charles River Loop (6.8 miles), 53:52 (7:55 pace).  Legs still feeling a bit heavy and dull, also mis-timed this run so ended up running the last stretch of crappy trail/pavement in darkness.  The sketchy footing probably made this already slow jog even slower.  Wasn’t super amused.

Tuesday 12/20/2011:  Fresh Pond from House (7 miles), 53:15 (7:36 pace).  This run felt terrible.  I felt like I was huffing and working hard, but in reality my HR was low and I was going really slow.  Though my right hamstring/glut/everything else in there felt like worlds of pain, I thought perhaps I just needed one more day to recover from Patrician…

Wednesday 12/21/2011:  JFK St. via Elliot Bridge (6.5 miles), 49:08 (7:34 pace).  The first thought I had when I woke up today was “gahhhhhh, my hamstring!”  My right upper leg had frozen overnight into a solid, useless block of pain.  In order to get the thing out of bed and moving forwards, I felt like I had to physically lift the whole leg up and then plunk it down slightly in front of where it used to be.  Refer back to the intro as to why I ran today… 

On the plus side, Mom was inspired to run today, so we went on an 18 minute jog around the golf course.  She did great!  I also don’t think I could have gone on my run without this jog to loosen up my R leg.  It was also pleasantly drizzly today.

Thursday 12/22/2011:  River St. via Elliot Bridge (8.0 miles), 1:01:30 (7:41 pace).  Warm up with Mom on golf course, followed by another slow jog.  R leg felt a little better after stretching and PT yesterday, so ofcourse I had to push my luck by going on another run… Less pain but so, so much fatigue.  Felt a little bit better on the uphill leg home.  

Friday 12/23/2011:  Off.  Finally, a good decision. Though to be fair I was contemplating jogging to Harvard Square and back (approximately 5 miles) to meet a friend.  Was saved from this horrible life choice by timing and a ride from Mom.  Got back and did the 18 minute golf course jog with her again (actually the same loop took us 19 minutes today… probably because I was slacking on my pacing duties).  Frankly, this was about as much exercise as I could handle.

Saturday 12/24/2011:  River St. via Elliot Bridge (8.0 miles), 1:00:55 (7:37 pace).  I think this was the first day that I woke up pain free and it didn’t hurt at all to walk, so I was hoping for a faster run, but I guess that might fall under “unreasonable expectations”.  Felt pretty good in the beginning, then deathly tired, then good again.  Weird.  Also day 4 for jogging with Mom, so proud that she's sticking with it!

Week #8 Total:  36.3 miles, all jogging, but still managed to hold training volume while healing the injuries, that’s gotta be worth something!

No comments: