Saturday, December 3, 2011

dude, where's my compression under pants???

I've gotta hand it to people who do sports that require sprinting and coordination... and side-to-side movements.  It's been two days since the run in with 2 hours of tennis, and I am still flat on my back.  It hurts to stand up, it hurts to swing my arms, it hurts to take steps forward.  Yikes.  Its sort of like a whole body smackdown.  But the worst of all for running is the intense pain in my glutes.  I've got on my thigh high compression socks, but geez, where's the compression underpants when you need them???

I think I'm going to turn this week into an "off week".   That wasn't the plan, I had wanted to start off December right with 30 miles of quality training... but you've got to adapt.  There are two jogging days in here, so I'll call that a good down week, even if the mileage is about the same as last week.


Sunday 11/27/2011:  Smallest Charles River Loop from house (5.3 miles), 40:17 (7:36 pace)  I haven't taken two days off in a row since I started, and I wasn't going to start today, ass pain be damned!  All I can say about this run is that I gutted it out.  For about 20 minutes, it felt like being swiftly kicked in the behind with every step I took.  Try to ignore the pain, and keep moving... I told myself.  Eventually it became more of a moderate ache instead of a sharp stabbing pain and then the run was moderately tolerable.  My only goal for this run, other than not keeling over, was not to run any > 8 minute miles.  Against all odds, I succeeded.

Monday 11/28/2011:  Off, some brief core exercises with Mom.  The ass pain is much improved since yesterday, but I still feel pretty rickety even today.

Tuesday 11/29/2011:  Rose Villa / Rosemead / California / Hill (7.0 miles), 50:52 (7:18 pace)  This run was like an amazing and unexpected gift.  I felt horrible, after getting 2 hours of sleep, traveling back on 2 flights and 2 delays, almost missing a Biology quiz, catastrophe at work... but I wanted to just get a short easy run in as a shake out after a long day.  Headed out after dark, not particularly feeling great in the first few miles, but then, it all started to click and I felt so great I decided to extend the run out to Rosemead.  Coming back on the uphill felt unreal.  Just so smooth, easy, fast, powerful.  I don't think I've ever felt so great on a run before.  Got back and was totally not expecting it to be so speedy because I didn't feel like I was working hard at any point.  Wow, like these are the runs that you live for.

Wednesday 11/30/2011:  Off, starting to feel slothful... was trying to get out of lab early enough to run in the Arroyo, but got home pretty close to sundown, and then some work related catastrophes had to be addressed ASAP.  Decided I should just get some errands done and run tomorrow instead.

Thursday 12/01/2011:  A 1 hour jog/walk interspersed with a large proportion of bushwhacking from Monterrey to Rose Bowl... back on surface streets (7.2 miles) ... yikes.  If I had known that this was about to happen, perhaps I might have made a bigger effort to run in the Arroyo yesterday.  This entire city looks like the apocalypse just came through... including a lot of big trees collapsed in the Arroyo.  First bridge is impassable, the stretch between Monterrey and second bridge is particularly bad on both sides.  Sad to see all of the trees :(.  Jogged into a heavy headwind to the RB, then exited on California and headed back on surface streets to avoid repeating the bushwhacking in darkness.  Felt kind of awful in addition to the conditions, Garmin says I was going ~8 minute miles when I was moving, though I didn't bother to stop it while I navigated the obstacles.  Sidewalks weren't great either, hard to gain much momentum with all of the debris.  Swim practice canceled due to the winds.

Friday 12/02/2011:  Off again.  This week has been terrible for exercise.  Also, feeling sleep deprived and awful lately.  Probably should have run at night anyways, but instead elected to eat and get a decent night of sleep for the first time this week.

Saturday 12/03/2011:  Huntington / Oak Knoll (6.1 miles), 48:35 (7:58 pace) Skipped swim practice to sleep in and go on a morning jog with Clara and some folks from the team.  Street debris was manageable, though I could foresee this being bad after dark.  I still wasn't feeling super... not sure why since I felt so awesome on Tuesday.  Perhaps it is the cumulative effects of sleep deprivation. 

Week #5 Total:  25.5 miles, a lot of super duper snailing this week.  Ugh, gotta nip this in the bud!  Next week = time to get serious!

No comments: