Saturday, September 5, 2009

Week 3: Pause (08/16/2009 - 08/22/2009)

Okay, let's re-evaluate. Things aren't going very well with the Everest Challenge Training. I'm not used to getting super full blown sick, but here it is. Sunday was still very painful... and the coughing is not letting up.

Work is also heating up, things are really stressful, and I wake up multiple times a night to cough. Not a lot has been accomplished so far in terms of training. The Everest Challenge is less than a month away, and I don't think I'm going to make it. So, where does that leave me?


Sunday 08/16: 52 miles, 4 hours? Mt Wilson. Took the new bike, so time and distance are estimated. I kind of wish I had these numbers though, because I climbed pretty hard. Started feeling horrible, and sent Ian and Peter ahead. I really, truly considered turning back at the foot of the 2, but the more I thought about it, the more angry I became. In that instant, everything had pissed me off. This stupid plague, the stupid birthday ride, stupid getting old, stupid everybody and everything for making me feel weak and useless. So onwards I went, fueled by a lot of pissed off and a little bit of nuts... I mashed the unfamiliar gears on and on. I reached Clear Creek, and I was still angry. I reached Red Box and I was still angry, so I went all the way to the top of Mt. Wilson, and there, finally, I felt not really any better, but a little bit deflated... enough to go home.

Monday 08/17 - Wednesday 08/19: Off. Trying to shake this damn cold. Lots of work. Feeling really stressed and unhappy.

Thursday 08/20: 13 miles, rode to work in the morning. Car is in the shop in preparation for driving up north for Brain's wedding. Felt sort of okay, but I stayed at work pretty late, and then John came and picked me up so I didn't ride home in the dark. Went for "sending off to SF" dinner. Ahhh, so sad. Everyone is leaving :(.

Friday 08/21: Off, shots. I guess it would be generous to say that this was the only reason I didn't train today though. Gah...

Saturday 08/22: Off, drove 6 hours up to Sacramento to pick up Peter for Brain's wedding on Sunday. Nice picnic, saw lots of cool folks I haven't seen in a while, but no riding.


Conclusion? I don't think I'm going to do the Everest Challenge. I guess I should try a little running in the meantime...

No comments: