Monday, September 17, 2007

Week of 09/09/2007 - 09/15/2007 (Transition Week 4)

Finally! Food returns. This week has been devoted to eating and travel. I perhaps naively thought that I would resume running immediately upon conclusion of fasting--but as it turns out, I'm a great deal weaker than I thought I would be, so the timetable has been shifted so that this week will allow me to ease back into quasi-normal existence again.

Final results: I weighted in 10 days ago at 111 pounds, after not really exercising at all for a while, with both my feet and my allergies getting alarmingly worse. At the conclusion, I weighed a shocking 98 pounds but remarkably, during this time, my feet healed extremely quickly and my upper respiratory allergies cleared very quickly in addition to the food ones (for obvious reasons). Another strange effect was that after day 1, I really ceased to be hungry in a physical sense at all, though I did find myself thinking longingly about food a lot. It made me realize though how much food is a psychological phenomenon for me... I missed food the same way I miss running, or my family or something that's heavily an emotional thing--rather than how you miss water if you're thirsty or oxygen if you're racing...

At any rate, 10 days and 13 pounds later, when I finally did start eating--oh, food is so, so good. Its still a bit of a mixed bag how much this helped me, but in general I feel like it was a good rest for my body, and that all of the allergic reactions are like, less severe and towards the end of the week I felt up for running again.

Friday 09/14 - Saturday 09/15: Colorado

Preliminary investigations of the greater Denver basin with Peter. 2 days and 400 miles of driving later, there seem to be more questions than answers. Loved Boulder, it was like a neat little Pasadena meets Boston, all the good parts only... everywhere else, a bit sketchy. Downtown was moderately acceptable, but then there were just expanses of scary mass produced suburbia and small hick towns that reminded me uncomfortably of the deep south. Still taking in all of this information, unclear for now what the future holds.

Drove up THE real Flagstaff mountain--very impressed. Steep, scary switchbacks even by car. Amazing views, trails everywhere. Plus the whole altitude thing... really wished I could have had a go at the route described in RwtB but not enough time or fitness (obviously) at the current time.

Also drove past the entrance to the Mt. Evans hill climb, also from RwtB, very cool. Totally psyched to see all of the famous sites--I'll be back some day to actually explore. Wished dearly for ability to run again.

No comments: