Tuesday, February 13, 2007

Week of 02/11/2007 - 02/17/2007 (Base Phase block 2 Week A)

Don't be a pussy.

Advice given to me prior to a XC race last fall. Advice that needs to be given to me now. After weekend of debacles, now is the time to keep my head in the game and get it together. Just focus and do what you need to do to get better. Except, I'm not entirely sure WHAT that is. How do you you fix something you don't understand--for example, WHY I am suddenly allergic to the entire world? I have eye drops, nose spray, antihistamine cream, tablets, antibiotics... I'm basically a freaking walking pharmacy and still I feel like crap at least half of every day lately. Everybody just keeps throwing drugs at me, but no one can tell me what the root of the problem is!

I feel like at this point my life could just be declared a success if I could just NOT live in fear of what part of my body will inexplicably become inflamed and infected and swollen on THIS day. How am I supposed to train and be an athlete, if I can't manage to be a healthy human being? What the hell did I do to deserve this!?

Sunday 02/11: off. Eyes swollen shut, miserable.

Monday 02/12: ~8.8 miles, 1:17:32 easy Huntington medians followed by 5 laps of the North Field. Therapeutic easy run, goal was to run for 75 minutes, not stressed about pacing, mostly on grass. Distance uncertain, don't really care. Totally calm today, felt good, liked the gradual hill on Los Robles, just needed a day to cleanse all of the angst and want to run again.

Tuesday 02/13: more medical problems... this week is turning into a disaster, and its only tuesday!

Wednesday 02/14: ~8.5 miles, oh holy crap... disaster! Aborted 3 x arroyo tempo loops. Became 1.5 x arroyo tempo loops. L arch hurts intensely... heart rate alarmingly high, aborted on second loop after cramping, limping, and heartrate pushing 190... just not worth it. There's something seriously, seriously wrong with my whole body, even after some slow shuffling, my heartrate still wouldn't go under 167 the entire way home. Oh, dear...

Thursday 02/15: off. plantar fasciitis has reared its ugly head again.. what to do, what to do... starting wearing the magic sock again.

Friday 02/16: ~12.5 miles, 1:44:33 fantastic uncharted, uncertain distance run in the Arizona desert. Dirt roads all the way into the hills, until I heard some gunfire... apparently thats what people do out in the middle of nowhere--shoot things. Perfect, packed but soft sand for miles and miles, strong breeze offset the sunny and hot. Kind of like Hesperia but less hilly. This is the perfect surface for my embattled arches, feet didn't hurt at all on this run, miraculously.

Saturday 02/17: off. Non plantar fasciitis related medical problems. Eyes swollen shut again. This seriously, seriously needs to go away IMMEDIATELY.

Target Mileage: 40 Miles
Week Actual: 29.8 Miles
Last Week: 33.45 Miles

One year I was fast running 30 miles a week. If I can just average 40 miles a week until May, there's just got to be one non-embarassing 5K in there for me this season... there just HAS to be...

...or I could spend the rest of my life being riddled with disease and never be fast again. We'll see which it will be.

No comments: