Wednesday, November 16, 2011

curse you, can of pumpkin puree...!

Arghhhhhh... toe still feels like a truck ran over it, when in reality it was only a can of pumpkin puree.  Perhaps the pumpkin puree is being wrongly maligned, maybe I need to change the title to "curse you, careless Trader Joe's employee who did not stack the pumpkin puree can display properly"...

In other news, I think I'm going to start having "goals" again in some unstructured manner.  For the rest of November, the goal is to get to ~30 miles per week of running, while maintaining quality and one day per week with some tempo-ish component.  The more ambitious goal is to do my core strengthening exercises at least 2 x week.  We'll see how that one turns out.

Sunday 11/13/2011:  Monterrey to Third Bridge (5.2 miles), 39:34 (7:37 pace), snailing.  This run would have been okay except for that I was feeling incredibly, uncomfortably full for the first two miles and slogging painfully along.  Felt a lot better after a minor barfing incident.  Though I have long logged this route as 5.3 miles, the Garmin has persistently been saying 5.2, and since it matches my gmaps distances for all of the other permutations of the "Monterrey to X" routes...  I've decided to concede the point on this one.

Monday 11/14/2011:  Return to swim practice, feeling mentally a little bit better today.  3850 yards, a light day but there was a bunch of butterfly and IM pulling in there.  Eeesh, the toe was killing me though, and it kept throbbing even after I got out of the pool!

Tuesday 11/15/2011:  2 x Arroyo 3-mile Loops, (6 miles), 42:37 (7:06 pace), an unexpectedly encouraging run.  Did the first loop at a comfortable pace (21:57), then picked it up to a tempo-ish effort on the second loop (20:40).  This is the fastest I've run both one and two of these loops, and I felt really strong and good at the end.  Pleasantly surprised!  Honestly felt sort of worn out when I started and was expecting the tempo portion to become a painful slog but it wasn't at all.  4200 yards in the pool afterwards, if I squint and look sideways maybe the snailing is improving a little bit?

Wednesday 11/16/2011:  Both PF a little sore today.  4500 yards in the pool, this started out decently, but good golly I was completely and totally destroyed by the end.  I don't think I've ever swam so slow as during that last set... at least the toe didn't hurt as much today.

Thursday 11/17/2011:  California to Salvia Canyon, (5 miles), 37:27 (7:30 pace), snailing along.  Feeling antsy, legs wanted to pick it up, but the cardiovascular system wasn't having any of it today.  Usually I like to hammer the downhill return leg, but forced myself to chill out instead.  I feel like I'm just in such an odd place with running right now, not really sure how to proceed.  Swim practice had to scrapped in favor of frantically cleaning the apartment for Peter's arrival tomorrow.

Friday 11/18/2011:  Rose Villa/Madre/California/Hill (5.95 miles), 43:50 (7:23 pace), pavement/Newtons day!  Another pleasant after-dark run around the neighborhood.  Felt a little bit tired in the middle, but then energized again on that last stretch coming back on California, which is odd because its slightly uphill.  A lot of the time these days, it just feels like my legs have a mind of their own, and the rest of my body and my poor cardiovascular capacity is just holding them back.

Saturday 11/19/2011:  3800 yards in the pool, on a cold and gloomy morning.  Tired, but glad that I went, because almost all of the old crew showed up today!  Great to swim with these folks again.  Feeling kind of nostalgic about earlier this year, when my swimming was faster and I was more excited about going to practice...

Week #3 Total:  22.15 miles, still going strong!

No comments: