Friday, April 3, 2009

Week 0: Beginnings (03/29/2009 - 04/04/2009)

It's like in Running with the Buffaloes when Mark Wetmore tells the injured guy... I'll get you in shape when you return--just, don't get fat.

The guy got fat. I got fat too.

Nuts. But alas, one must begin somewhere, even if it is 20+ pounds overweight despite still missing a good amount of muscle mass out of my left calf and thigh. Somehow all of that stuff still doesn't quash the excitement of The Beginning. I guess this is the honeymoon phase of training, when motivation is still high, and your eyes blink open with glee at 6 am when your alarm goes off after 4 hours of sleep. The truth is that I just can't wait to get on my bike. I know this won't last forever, so I'm enjoying it now.

START: Cyclist for a year*

*Not sure about the exact time frame for this. I know I need a break, physically and mentally from running. It will be at least until September.

Thursday 04/02: 21.85 miles, 1:29:54 (14.5 mph) 5 x RB laps. I discover just how incredibly out of shape I am. Went really really slow and in small gears to minimize pressure on the navicular, but my heart still felt like it was about to explode in my chest by the time I got to the RB. It actually settled down after a lap or so, but it was still tough. Felt wonderful afterwards though. Good to be back.

Friday 04/03: 21.97 miles, 1:32:32 (14.2 mph) 5 x RB laps. I started out with aspirations to do SIX whole laps today, but that was quickly abandoned after realizing that the second day back always has and still does suck. You have no additional fitness, but you ARE more tired bc of day one. In cycling, your rear end is also worse for the wear. Oh, well. Everything felt a little more under control than yesterday though. Feet are also feeling good. I'm thinking it was also a good call to cram my old orthotics into my cycling shoes too.

Saturday 04/04: 26.84 miles, 1:41:26 (15.8 mph) Encanto Park, back on Huntington. 100% awesome. Perfect temperature, sunny, felt much better all around than yesterday. Rode a little bit less conservatively, and was pleased with the results. I'm not sure if I'm a fan of the portion of Huntington past Santa Anita Track, but this loop was so much more entertaining than RB laps, or even the out and back version of this ride. Felt just a little bit guilty towards the end because I did not feel appropriately tired, and going back on Huntington is a slight cop out due to the fact that there are significantly more traffic lights.


Training this week: 70.66 miles, 4:43:52
Goals: 60 miles, if I can do 20 miles per day without pain, I'll be pleased.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

You've returned! And with a sunny new disposition! Fantastic.

Ian said...

Yes, the sunny disposition is quite heartening!