Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Week of 07/20/2008 - 07/26/2008 (Base Week 19)

Back to the Drawing Board

So now it's almost August. After a few sub-optimal health weeks... so far so good on becoming something closer to a person and farther from a medical freakshow. But you know, fingers crossed, cuz you never know.

As I face my first tempo run in 2-3 weeks now, with some trepidation, I'm feeling a little bit bummed that all this time I thought I had is slowly becoming... not as much time. The meets of interest are: Alumni meet (9/6), Westmont (9/13) and Riverside (9/27) ... which basically means I've got about 2 months. Sounds like enough time...? Well, unfortunately, when you can only run 5 days a week and 20-30 miles, its almost ridiculously scary how little progress you make in 2 months. RIDICULOUSLY scary.

So, its back to the drawing board... what can I accomplish in 2 months OR, do I sit out cross and run some thanksgivings/winter road races and try for track in the spring?

Sunday 07/20
: 1:40:55, Dried-up Creek Trail from County Line to a big tree past some farms and a pipe factory. About 100 degrees out, it took me all 100 minutes to run probably 10.x miles according to the mile markers... felt like I was going slowly enough to not die until about the last 15-20 minutes until there was just no speed that didn't feel like ass. Peter rode by during this time period, I thought I was going to die of shame. Based on the last 2 long runs I've done out here... I think about 80 minutes is my absolute max in the heat and altitude.

Monday 07/21: Off, shots. I think the hell mouth has opened up somewhere near here, maybe as a result of the huge sinkhole that appeared on the 110 freeway right next to my house. Blood just gushed out everywhere when I got the shots today.

Tuesday 07/22: 49:28, Monterrey to end of Arroyo Tempo Loop and back on the other side. This run wasn't the greatest, there were construction trucks parked in my favorite spot, and having to park far away didn't really account for enough of the slowness... but it felt like the best run ever simply bc it was NOT 90-100 degrees out!

Wednesday 07/23: 1:03:53, 3 mile track tempo in 21:09 (6:54, 7:00, 7:15). Clearly not a well executed workout... but it was almost all worth it just to get that one sub-7 minute mile. I think it's literally been about 1.5 years since I last ran anything that fast... over 2 years since my last sub-6 minute mile... oh, how the mighty have fallen. Nevertheless, it was a nice session, the North Fields were mysteriously left open this morning, so I warmed up and cooled down there. Really liked the format of warming up for 21 minutes, tempo for 21 minutes, cool down for 21 minutes (plus some random seconds). It has a nice symmetry.

Also the first 5 or 6 laps on the track felt really really good, for the first time I found a steady rhythm and consistent pacing... my breathing started to catch around the end of the second mile, and I guess I'd crossed that line already by that point because the last mile was just slogging... but then I realized that my legs weren't really tired so its really still just a cardio issue, which is where the whole training volume thing starts to bite me in the ass.

Thursday 07/24: 48:57, California to Salvia Canyon. Surprisingly good (AND not snail paced) run... it's been really nice that the temperatures have been cool lately. Felt a little bit tired in the beginning, but felt good by the end. Really starting to feel stircrazy about wanting to pick up the pace a little bit.

Friday 07/25: Off, shots. First time in a while that nothing distressing happened as a result of the shots. I guess it's because my dosage was scaled back rather drastically. I guess it's going to be a while longer before I can go only once a week...

Saturday 07/26: 35:25, One RB trail perimeter loop starting medium and ending tempo. Somehow misread the e-mail and missed the group meeting in the Arroyo, so sadly drove to RB by myself at which point it was way later and drastically warmer than I'd have preferred. I really, really, did not feel like running at this point, but rather than face the shame of coming home without having accomplished anything, I promised myself I'd at least make one round of the trail perimeter... the faster I run, the faster I could go home, and so I gradually accelerated to a pretty good clip by the end.

Accompanied Peter on his Bike/Fix Flat/Eat 2 Bagels/Bike Triathlon afterwards. Verdugo to Chevy Chase to Linda Vista. I don't think Peter thought I would make it all the way on Chevy Chase so we cut back early on Linda Vista... about 2 hours. Climbing is SO hard... I can't believe how weak I've become on the bike.


Training this week: 4:58:38 and 2 hours of cycling
Goals: To not get sick, argh, everyone is sick....

No comments: