Monday, May 26, 2008

Week of 05/25/2008 - 05/31/2008 (Base Week 11)

Baby Rabbit and Wormhole?

Once upon a time in a field near Denver, lived a large population of rabbits that roamed the plains and also the yards of folk who lived nearby. Now that spring has come, the rabbits produced baby rabbits, and when I came to visit Peter, I fell in love with them instantly.

In our excursions to spot the tiny baby rabbits, we often noticed them clamber through a hole cut out in a brick wall to allow rain water to drain out of a patio. Strangely enough, however, whenever the rabbits would climb through the hole, we could never ever find them on the other side. Even when one of us stood on the outside to witness the rabbit go through, and the other stood inside the patio waiting for it to appear...

The mystery continued for 2 days, I inspected the passageway, but found the sides of the hole to be solid... strange indeed. Sadly enough however, before I could alert the theoretical physicists that a worm hole had opened up that allowed the passage of baby rabbits into distant parts of the universe... Peter examined the hole in the wall again and declared that there was a secret passageway directly UP from the opening, and somehow the rabbits were climbing into the wall itself. I suppose I will have to find some other way to be remembered in the annals of scientific discovery than to be the first person to find a real functional wormhole...


Sunday 05/25: 1:18:39, River path to end of golf course. First Colorado solo driving... I think I angered many fellow drivers with my inept bungling through construction, poorly marked lanes, and bad eyesight combined with small unreadable street signs. Path was nice and placid except for the occasional road crossing, and golf cart route crossing. Went real easy about 42 minutes out and back mostly the same way. Gently rolling terrain, since nothing is really truly ever flat out here. I think I unintentionally scared about 20 rabbits on my way.

Monday 05/26: 50:18, Wildcat Trail out by Peter's house. Trails out here are so strange, and oddly situated around housing complexes, highways and other such non nature-like things. This one was pretty nice, if one could get over the creepy crackling of overhead power lines. Terrain was neat and hilly though and seemed to go on for a long time. I'm starting to think that ALL runs out here have the property of seeming to be mostly uphill in BOTH directions.

Tuesday 05/27: Off, shots, traveling. A lot of work and not a lot of sleep. Stressed and bummed out feeling. Meh.

Wednesday 05/28: 42:45, Monterrey to bridge loop at 6:30 am after a little less than 5 hours of sleep (and 3 hours the day before). Hard to get up but I felt motivated to do this run today. Usually I feel really tired and awful after a travel day, so decided to do the easy run today, and tempo tomorrow. L foot/ankle feeling a bit balky today, but otherwise a pleasant run.

Thursday 05/29
: 55:59, warm up, 3 mile steady state on track, cool down. 3 miles in 21:35 (7:11.5, 7:08.6, 7:14.7) slooooooooow, but you know, all told I'm okay with it. Definitely way faster than anything I've done this year, and running faster than a trundle feels good. It feels unfamiliar, for sure, but good.

I still get really excited and nervous when I get on the track, ran a surprisingly fast first lap, freaked out about the split, then forced myself to settle down on the second, but after that the 7:10-ish pace felt really even, controlled and easy for the first 2 miles. I think my body just quit after 2 miles though, because that last mile felt pretty awful even if the slowdown factor doesn't look that bad on paper--I wondered if its because the only uptempo running I've been doing for the past year or so is 1 Arroyo Tempo loop, which takes 11-12 minutes. So after 2 miles, my body was just like screw this, I'm done. Or, maybe there's no reason and this is just where I am right now, and I just have to focus on expanding my cardiovascular endurance, because I know my legs are strong, and they felt good today.

Friday 05/30
: Off, shots. Tired. Delicious curry noodles.

Saturday 05/31
: 1:10:39, JPL to waterfall. Today was supposed to be 40-50 minutes moderate... but I woke up in the morning and the first thing that popped into my head was that I would really like to run at JPL today. I haven't been out there in some 2-3 years, but for whatever reason that was the inspiration of the day. Apparently things have changed, like the first bridge has collapsed and there seemed to be tons more water crossings that I ever imagined, but I still did remember Super Scary Bridge and Giant Flat Rock. Ran real easy and had to stop often to fall inadvertently into the river on my way across, so hopefully I can still do my "long" run tomorrow.


Goals: To get in one good faster paced day. I'm happy with the amount of training time out in Colorado, but its basically set up to be really slow, with the hills and the altitude.

Training this week: 4:58:20 volume PR thanks to JPL adventure... logged a lot of minutes, got in a tempo, got to see some new scenery. A good week.

2 comments:

Ryan said...

Baby rabbits are cute. There's a bunch in my park up here too. Their cutest feature? The little ears.

Sarah said...

i dunno dude. its not that slow. in fact, that isn't slow at all. i'm going to have to beat you over the head for that =P