Monday, April 21, 2008

Week of 04/20/2008 - 04/26/2008 (Base Week 6)

The second down week has arrived...

...and unfortunately, now I know that I need it. Basically, the goals for this week are as follows:

1) Heal bad L ankle
2) Not to have any days that feel like last Sunday and Thursday

Basically, nothing fancy. I really just want to make sure that I land on my feet (literally and figuratively) on the other side of this little rough patch. Every time I start to feel better physically and fitness wise, I just want to do so much more... but I guess I have to be careful, because sometimes that just leads to re-injury again.

Sunday 04/20: 1:04:15, Monterrey to RB and back on the other side. Same long run as Week 1, but 2 minutes faster. Felt good. Ankle better than before but still some tweaks. Taped higher up on the metatarsals today, wasn't sure if it was any better than taping at the toes while I was running, but later on in the day, my feet felt a lot better than normal. Mostly a good run. Saw Jill! She's running Big Sur in a week, sounds pretty hard core.

Monday 04/21: Aaahhhhhhhhh! Baby chicks Baby chicks Baby chicks!!!!! SO INSANELY CUTE. Peter and I went to go see KB and Ian's newly hatched baby chicks, they were even cuter than I thought they would be! (Off. Shots, etc. ankle feeling a lot better)

Tuesday 04/22: 43:07, gahlghalghlaghahga... a terrible, awful run with no redeeming qualities. 3 x Arroyo Tempo Loops in 14:41, 11:55, 15:10 plus jog back to car. Felt like death, a lot of huffing and puffing... kept looking at HR monitor expecting it to read 215 but it was really only 185 -9. Can't figure out why... felt like it was an all out effort, though HR did not show that. Everything just felt horrible, feet hurt, legs heavy, lungs asphyxiated, AND it was really really slow on top of that, wtf?

I really wasn't expecting this, there've been 2 good runs and a rest day leading up to today, so there really weren't any indications that everything would suddenly fall apart now. Allergies have been really bad the past few days, and haven't slept well but since that hasn't really seemed to affect the other runs, I didn't think it would affect this one so catastrophically. Sigh.... *frowny face*.

Wednesday 04/23: 43:51, Monterrey to bridge loop. Tired-ish, still having a lot of trouble waking up. Slow but not sloppy. L ankle really crunchy, you can hear all of this popping and crackling when I move it around... but not completely tweaked out like last week. Tendonitis between 1st and 2nd metatarsals a little sore since yesterday.

Thursday 04/24: 41:06, out and back along Seattle waterfront with Kevin! In town for conference today, met up in the AM before talk. Great overcast but not raining weather, nice area, felt good in the beginning, but tough to come back in the headwind, I don't think we were going very fast. First time in a few months on the pavement, wasn't as bad as I thought it would be. Easier on the ankles, harder on the metatarsals... no surprises here.

Friday 04/25: Off, shots. Hmmm.... legs kinda feel warm and achey, also bottoms of both feel feel sore.... I don't think my body liked the concrete yesterday. This does not bode well for hypothetical far away marathon.

Saturday 04/26: 41:32, Monterrey to bridge loop. Ran easy, with 6 x stride outs in the middle portion. Slept in until about 8:30, was already 80 degrees and sunny by the time I got out there... sucked. Hard to get the gears moving, but better towards the end. Felt troubled by the amount of out of breath I felt after each one. It really doesn't seem that the tempo loops are building any sort of proficiency at the higher ranges of exertion...


Target Training this week: 3 hours 15-45 minutes
Actual Training: 3:53:51

No comments: