Tuesday, January 22, 2008

Week of 01/20/2008 - 01/26/2008 (Pre-Base Week 11)

Struggling with the whole consistency thing lately. Another crappy training week following a good one. This week's prognosis actually looks pretty poor as well.

Feeling alternately frustrated with life and then with myself. Obviously its my own responsibility to make time for the things that are important to me... but increasingly, I'm aware that "adulthood" forces you to admit the possibility that there are more important things in life than running. In my worse moments I highly resent that fact, and I resent the choices that I made that lead to wasting the years I had of lesser responsibility that could more wholly be devoted to running.

I always thought that it got better after tech, that you had more freedom, more time, more choices. Anything could be further from the truth... several years later, I find that while my life may less be confined by school work, but newly conceived notions of financial, professional, personal and social responsibilities have risen to take its place. In my current situation, I'm coming up against the fact that prioritizing training over absolutely everything else is selfish and ultimately untenable.

I guess if I were a better person, I would be okay with all of this... but apparently I've still got some personal growth to do...


Sunday 01/20: Off. More apartments. We aren't really excited about living in a planned living community. Gah.

Monday 01/21: XC ... skiing that is. Somewhere in the Rockies, about 2 hours out of Denver. You would think that it would be harder to fall down on a flat surface, but I managed to fall over in 2 hours more times than I've fallen downhill skiing in like 5 years combined. Took a bunch of getting used to, but fun towards the end. Good cardiovascular workout. Unfortunately this destroyed my L foot--per the pivot point for moving forwards approximately falling at the ball of your foot... it was actually a lot more stress to the bad joint than running. L forefoot grossly swollen for rest of day, hurts to walk.

Tuesday 01/22: Off. Feet mangled, body sore from waist down. Too much other crap to do. Got first allergy shot. Apparently you can't exercise for 4 hours prior and 4 hours after the shots, which I have to have twice a week... this is going to make scheduling running time even harder.

Wednesday 01/23: 15 minutes of ellipticizing, after which I decided that this sucked, so I tried the treadmill but it started killing my L foot after 5 minutes, but by that time, my elliptical had been taken... so 30 minutes of stationary biking, which made my feet (both) numb. Felt stupid and annoyed. Core strengthening afterwards, not a good day.

Thursday 01/24: 1 hour of ellipticizing, so as to avoid yesterday's mistake. Tried to do super high cadence. Did not feel like running. 165 HR never felt so bad. I was thinking, well at least it didn't hurt my foot... but the first step I took off of the machine was searing pain... not really sure how this happened, but it really irritated the bad toe again.

Friday 01/25: Off. Drinking off a crappy week.

Saturday 01/26: Went to the legendary Andre van Commenee to get my foot assessed... confirmed my suspicion of extensor tendonitis... which is apparently very very rare in this sort of manifestation. He did say that this was theoretically curable though, and was much preferable to joint damage. Felt cautiously optimistic about some exercises and home therapy to try over the next few weeks. Foot actually feeling not half bad this morning. Core strengthening at the gym with Peter in the PM.


Target training time this week: if I can get 2 ellipticizings and 2 runs in without pain, I'll call that a win.

Actual training: 50 minutes of assorted cardio, 1 hour of ellipticizing, some core strengthening

2 comments:

Sarah said...

Ditto to life being lame.

Ryan said...

Very few people want your time at 6am - it's the harsh truth, but you DO have the choice: sleep in or run.