Sunday, December 30, 2007

Week of 12/30/2007 - 01/05/2008 (Pre-Base Week 8)

Tips for the New Year:

Megumi (and Kangway) recommend UA Cold Gear--warm and lightweight, kept my legs the optimal temperature, then at the end of the run, all of the nasty mud spatters crumbled cleanly off of the outside and hadn't soaked through the fabric. Nice!

Megumi does NOT recommend macaroni and cheese from the year 1998. However, if you DO happen to consume some by accident, you may still live to tell the tale. Apparently.


Sunday 12/30: 44:05, a shortened river path to avoid the roads without shoulders. Back up the big hill. Ah, finally the effects of last week have started to manifest... Shin splints on the left side only, due to running on banked road sides for the past week. People ruin their legs forever running marathons on banked roads. This is not good... Knees feeling pretty balky as well, heels sore. Gah, I guess when one thing goes, it all goes. Probably going to program in 2 rest days this week as a down week, and hopefully I won't be crippled again before I can get back to the trails.

On a brighter note, I mapped out the routes I've been running here, and the old cemetary loop is 4.8 and the river path loop is 5.2, so I've been going a fairly steady 8:45 pace all of last week, for just about 29 miles. Amazing, that's almost like a JV highschool training week... woo hoo! I guess I'm about halfway at this point between the starting point (3 miles per day at 10 min/mile pace) and the goal point (7 miles per day at 8 min/mile pace).

Monday 12/31: Off. Shins still feel inflamed, knees hurt... running on the east coast sucks. Probably going to take a few days off until I get back to Pasadena, so I can start the third microcycle in one piece. I guess it will just be a super super down week.

Tuesday 01/01: Resolutions. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening. I will not shirk PT and core strengthening.

Happy New Year everybody!!!!

Wednesday 01/02: Already starting to become mentally unstable after 3 days of not running. Argh... My feet have developed some strange aches, though the shins and knees feel better after a few days off. Meanwhile, snowflakes the size of quarters are falling relentlessly outside. Tried to take a picture but it didn't come out very well. On the plus side, scouted out the golf course... it looks like it could be a good non concrete running loop for when there's not 3 feet of snow everywhere. There's kind of an outer perimeter where one of the longer sides is a pretty decent incline, will check that out the next time I am here.

Thursday 01/03: 42:45, Monterrey to bridge loop. Normalcy returns, sort of. Flew back to L.A. today, happy to run on the trails again. Breathing felt a bit off, but that's pretty normal after a few days off. Wish it wasn't so cloudy and dreary... also that I wasn't as morbidly obese. I sat next to fat person on the plane today, and the row was DEFINITELY not big enough for the both of us :(. Discovered this break that my scale has somehow become incorrectly calibrated so that I'm actually 5 lb MORE than what it says! Horrors upon horrors, I guess that's what happens when you buy a scale for $10 at Target. This would also explain why I am having trouble fitting into my fat pants. Gah...

Friday 01/04: 42:36, Monterrey out and back to the second bridge, due to some annoying construction that was blocking up the other side. Feet feeling a lot better with the resumption of daily PT. Took it really nice and easy today, realized that I was running a lot faster than usual in Boston. For some reason it feels disproportionately harder (muscularly) to run on the trails than not. Felt kind of crappy this morning, but glad I forced myself to go run before it started to rain!

Saturday 01/05: 43:03, Monterrey to bridge loop in the aftermath of torrential downpour. Definitely an adventure negotiating all of the wash-out, mud pits and stranded boulders, but not really the type of adventure that I hope and wish for. The run had two redeeming qualities, however: I finally got to park in the 3rd parking spot, and it was also a completely pain free, easy breathing, fantastic feeling run.

First core strengthening in over a week at the gym with Peter. Was really painful. I guess the time off was bad. Tried some horrendous new hamstring/hip exercises. Hard. Good to get back into the habit of doing this though. Not a ton of training this week, but its a down week, so I guess its okay. I think the ill-effects of the 3 days off are pretty much gone now, and I'm solidly into the 40+ minute run range, so I'm feeling pretty good about the next microcycle.


Target training this week: 3 hours ... with only 4 days, what're you gonna do?
Actual training: 2:52:29

2 comments:

Katherine said...

Dude... did you see the Arroyo on Sunday?! FLASH FLOOD WARNING!

I'm glad you've gained weight. That means you're eating again!

Garrett said...

Oh man Megumi, I also got shin splints from wretched east coast pavement and frozen ground running. Unfortunately they got a bit bad so I had to take 8 days off before track started, but they are getting a lot better. Also you should definitely make a guest appearance at track some time in the near future.