Monday, November 12, 2007

Week of 11/11/2007 - 11/17/2007 (Pre-Base Week 1)

And... it starts again.

Post vacation, I think I logged one solid week of training, through the nasty ash-filled southern california air... before succumbing to a variety of medical troubles, respiratory and otherwise. 2 weeks and one podiatrist appointment later, it starts again. The Season-that-will-either-be-known-as-Track-2008-or-XC-2008 begins now!

While yet another doctor has been mostly flummoxed by my medical mystery foot... I've gotten another pair of orthotics and the go-ahead to try running for 1 month to see if correcting some mechanics will reduce the pressure point on that toe. Apparently the bone structures looks normal, so scar cartilage or something from the ankle breakings and toe smashings is suspected. Lets hope it doesn't come to surgery to scrape it away...

Sunday 11/11: 32:57, California to the RB and back. So far as being restricted to the same 5 miles of Arroyo every day goes, this is one of my favorite routes, given the variety in scenery. Went real easy, felt good. Tried to think about correcting the mechanics in my right (uninjured) footstrike (per the video analysis at the foot doctor's) on the thought that maybe an imbalance here is somehow creating the pressure point on the opposite foot. Since no one seems to know, my theory is as good as anyone else's. Orthotics not as crappy as I thought they would be. No pain.

Monday 11/12: 35:52, Monterrey to the rock and back. Very sunny, felt uncomfortably warm, ergo sluggish, but not terrible. Not that I was in any sort of shape before, but a couple weeks off certainly sets a person back, no matter where they are. Just aiming for some good easy 30-35 minute runs all this week to get back into it. Definitely do not feel as crappy as the first time coming back though. Starting to feel the first ill-effects of orthotics, in the form of a nice expansive blister on the R arch... argh!

Tuesday 11/13: Off. You hope for good starts to new things, but it doesn't always happen so. R hip became inflamed during the night and couldn't sleep. Iced, stretched and took 1 Aleve and 5 enzyme tablets early in the AM. This is a familiar exhaustion injury, its just really demoralizing when a sum total of 1 hour of running makes your body so tired it breaks. Suspect that this has to do with trying to correct the footstrike on the R side. Something that keeps the leg aligned properly is NOT used to working hard.

Core strengthening with Peter in the PM. Ran into Feldman at the gym. Maybe he'll do the Tiger Run in my place this year... haha. Realized that I severely lack core strength, especially post-fasting. Felt totally exhausted afterwards... Also saw Natalie Muren at the gym, she's one of those people who reminds me that I am weak, fat, slow, and pathetic. She is also one of those people who remind me how much I do NOT want to be those things, and how I've got to be strong and keep fighting through this.

Wednesday 11/14: 33:43, California to RB. Back in the metaphorical saddle again. The good: both feet held up well, no pain, felt like the running system is taking well to the mechanical adjustment to my R side, felt smoother and more natural. Hip felt a little sore, but not painful. The bad: core strengthening makes me really more exhausted than running. I woke up and my whole body felt like lead. Had to run realllly slowly, and with this feeling that my legs were shoving a dead weight forwards. I really wish I could just abandon core strengthening, but as they always say, the people who find X most painful are the ones who need it the most. I'm hoping that some day, this will all be worth it when my hips can keep my legs straight and my feet healthy and my shoulders don't cramp on long runs.

Thursday 11/15: 35:24, Monterrey to rock. Finally getting the hang of this morning thing. It makes it a lot easier because its been pretty warm out :). Felt groggy and was slow in the beginning, until something clicked with my stride and I was suddenly running much smoother and faster and with less effort. There's just so much to think with every step I take, and I'm still at the point where it feels like an effort to coordinate everything, and that it doesn't always quite come together... but when it does, its kind of nice to see that I am rewarded for my efforts.

Feet are feeling better this week than ever before in the past 7 months . I've been doing physical therapy every day--I've noticed that it seems to help a lot more to do the exercises immediately after running and stretching, than to leave it until the end of the day or whenever I have more time. This necessitates waking up a little bit earlier, but seems to be well worth the pain. More core strengthening in the PM... I hope that at some point my body gets used to this, and it will cease to be quite so painful to hold my torso upright during the run on the day after. I suppose we will see tomorrow if there is any improvement...

Friday 11/16: 32:34, California to RB. Not feeling particularly creative this week... the 30-40 minute time limit sort of limits the destinations that are available too. All things considered, a good effort--felt exhausted from yesterday's core strengthening again, but this time, somehow managed to keep the shoulders relaxed and retain some quality. Felt better at the end than the beginning again, but the switchover point from groggy to smooth happened closer to 1/4 of the way in rather than 1/2, so that's encouraging.

Saturday 11/17: 34:31, Monterrey to rock. An unexpected good run! Just felt like the running system was operating harmoniously, finally. By far the lowest effort and fastest pace of the week. Felt very relaxed, almost forgot to turn around and go home. These are the runs that make the crappy days worth it. A little soreness on the bottom of my L foot makes me a tad suspicious about the sustainability of the new orthotics, but I'll just keep an eye on it. Maybe I can wear them every other day, if this persists.


Target Training: 3 hours and 15 minutes
Actual Training this week: 3:25:01

3 comments:

Ryan said...

Like AC/DC, you're back in black.

kangway said...

Wait, I thought Aerosmith was the one who did Back in the Saddle...

Katherine said...

Great to hear you're back at it! When's the Tiger run? Maybe I'll run it in your place if I'm not too weak and fat by then.