Thursday, November 30, 2006

Week of 11/26/2006 - 12/02/2006 (Base Phase)

PC Load Letter.

3 trips to the garage, 1 box chocolate covered raisins, and 5 USB connections later, we've successfully installed all of our lovely new start-up hardware, and learned that no, the fax machine can't "talk" to the the line outside due to the phone system at our host company. I love my warm and fuzzy school related job... but IT problems make me feel like I'm on the set of "Office Space". If I were a character in the movie, I'd be that Indian guy.

Sunday 11/26: 12 miles, 1:45:xx easy with Ian in the arroyo, distance uncertain. Learned new arroyo entrance near Monterrey. Body still feels kind of out of sorts, like the running motion isn't smooth and easy, but didn't fixate on it.

Monday 11/27: 8 miles, botched attempt at 3 x 2 mile @ anaerobic threshold (AT). 2 miles jogging on grass as warm up, 13:15 (6:40, 6:35), 13:28 (6:44, 6:44) on 2 minutes of rest, 2 miles jogging in Nike Frees as cool down.

The ideal progression for my current level of fitness would have been: 13:30, 13:20, 13:10. Its really hard to hold back on the first one, especially because I haven't run fast in so many weeks and I'm just so frustrated. Key learning for today, strength and speed's okay, but endurance is shot. I cheated on the second one, ran the last lap ~8 seconds faster than the second to last lap, driving into oxygen debt which, ofcourse makes it not really an honest AT effort. Decided race week was not the time to gut out the third one. Will resolve to redeem myself next monday.

Tuesday 11/28: 7 miles, ~1 hour easy. Stayed up too late reading Enders Game, slept through morning running time. Turned out okay though, ran Huntington followed by laps on South field with Mark. I love talking about running.

Wednesday 11/29: 7 miles, Bailey Canyon to Connector trail--27:42 to camp, 45:47 to connector, 1:17:51 total. Felt loose and relaxed, but pushed hard up last 400m scramble to the sign post. Took the first 25 minutes in the beginning for breathing to settle down but felt pretty good. I love this run so much.

Thursday 11/30: 5.9 miles, 50:18 easy. Felt good, legs unusually fresh post-wednesday Hill Climb day. Unclear as to if this is an extended effect of 4 weeks away from serious training, or if the reduced Sunday/Monday mileage burden is allowing my body to recover more completely between training elements. Pending more research.

Friday 12/01: 4.4 miles, 38:30 pre-race. Jogged real easy through time trial loop B, a bit more coughing than ideal the past few days, but the 'system' feels good. Strangely I feel calm and prepared for tomorrow...

I've fought both my doubts and my instincts these past two weeks, but in the end I feel like I've finally made some rational decisions for the first time, possibly in my career as a runner. My weakened body would not have withstood 2 full strength training weeks, and trying to "make up for lost time" would only have delayed my recovery. By scaling back intelligently, I think I've put myself in the best possible position to cope with a race situation. It may not be pretty, but I still intend to win tomorrow.

Saturday 12/02: 6.2 miles, 43:37 Tiger Run, 10K. ~3 miles between nervous warm up and random cool down with the gang. Title defense, successful! Tactical error in 6:24 first mile, but other than that, felt like I ran a strategic race that allowed me to go hard in the last mile, instead of last year's dead legged shuffle. It was a good day, had fun. Great to have everyone there, seriously. SPHS kids cheered for me :)

My goals for this race have admittedly fallen, from 41:24 6 weeks ago (maybe this was just too unrealistic for this year and this course), to 42:45 after the hip injury, and then to "just any sort of sub-7 minute miles". I was really close to the last goal (7:02 pace). Uncharacteristically, I feel okay with this. There's already a part of me that's planning for next year, planning for next race. Every goal you don't meet is an opportunity to do better. For now, it just feels good to run fast again. The past 5 weeks of training haven't turned out the way that I wanted, but I feel excited and hopeful for track.

Target mileage: 45 miles
Week actual: 53 miles
Last week: 39.9 miles

One could view this as a potentially precipitous increase from last week, especially in light of 30 the week before and 15 three weeks ago. I never thought I'd struggle with keeping my mileage DOWN. The bulk of this week's mileage have been "easy" miles, though, so I'm not too worried. Proceed with caution.

1 comment:

Markkimarkkonnen said...

nice race. especially on those hills that is an impressive showing. i boldly slept through the thing.